Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used roller skids on their Toro snowblower? Didn't know about them until just recently.

Also drift cutters dont have any on my Power Max 1028. Am missing anything ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Has anyone used roller skids on their Toro snowblower? Didn't know about them until just recently.

Also drift cutters dont have any on my Power Max 1028. Am missing anything ?

as to the drift cutters,i have not missed anything with mine, simple to make out of 1/4 inch flat plate steel if you want to try them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thaks for all your responses. Looks like Prime here we come.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
as to the drift cutters,i have not missed anything with mine, simple to make out of 1/4 inch flat plate steel if you want to try them
I have several lengths of garage door angle. It is strong, light and full of holes. That is all I have ever used until a friend (detdrbuzzard) gave me a set for my Toro 521. Garage door angle works really well.
As to roller skids.... Well..... This topic has been gone over in here time and again. For me it will pretty much always be my home made poly skids. Personally I don't see or feel the need for rollers but if they work for you go for it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quoted micah68kj, As to roller skids.... Well..... This topic has been gone over in here time and again. For me it will pretty much always be my home made poly skids. Personally I don't see or feel the need for rollers but if they work for you go for it.

What did you make yours out of?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Quoted micah68kj, For me it will pretty much always be my home made poly skids.

What did you make yours out of?

I made some sets out of HDPE (cutting.board) andthey work very well but they do wear somewhat. My last.sets I made.from.... I can't remember the specific letters but it is a harder mateial and more expensive.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I made some sets out of HDPE (cutting.board) andthey work very well but they do wear somewhat. My last.sets I made.from.... I can't remember the specific letters but it is a harder mateial and more expensive.
Maybe UHMW? Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene? It's the next-level version of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene).

Having recently getting my driveway sealed, I think the rollerblade wheels approach is interesting. That way you don't have steel rolling/sliding across the pavement. But I bought the Ariens poly skids a few years ago, they've been working well so far. They have worn down a bit, but they have an awful lot of life left in them, even before I have to flip them over.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
You got it, RedOctobyr
I knew it began with a U but was not sure of the rest of the compound.
UHMW works very well. Slick, long lasting, no.marks or residue.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Yes, there have been multiple threads on this topic over the years..
If you need rollers for a specific purpose, like rolling your snowblower across the lawn to get it in and out of storage, or maybe for rolling around the garage floor, then ok, rollers might have a purpose, in rare circumstances..

If you think you need them for actual use while blowing snow, IMO its 99% likely you dont actually need them, and they will probably be worse than the stock skids..

IMO, these roller skids are a bad idea..
Because they could freeze up and lock up, then they wont turn, and you will wear a flat spot on them, making them useless..

also, IMO they are "a solution without a problem"..
Because regular skids work perfectly fine..even metal ones..they glide across a thin layer of snow while in use, very little friction, and my steel shoes have never made the slightest mark on my driveway..

not seeing any point, or reason for roller skids..
I dont see how they could be any better than normal skids, (which really dont have any issues) and they can potentially be worse, if they freeze up..regular skids have been working fine for 50 years..

just because you *can* change something, doesnt necessarily mean its an improvement! ;)
IMO, these are worse than regular skids, and there is simply no reason for them.

Scot
Just one previous thread:
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/general-snowblower-discussion/619-roller-skids-4.html

Scot

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
The wheel is great in principle, though if it stops rotating it now becomes a skid. So, I guess I'm a fence sitter until I have to replace mine. UHMV may be the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
The wheel is great in principle,
but..is it really? ;)
why is it great?

sure, people are free to mod their snowblowers however they like, nothing wrong with that..
but im still not seeing why its "great" or deseriable in any way..

can anyone give us a real-world benefit of rollers over regular skids?
im genuinely curious..

thanks,
Scot

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
can anyone give us a real-world benefit of rollers over regular skids?
im genuinely curious..
If we assume that they keep spinning (vs locking up and dragging), then they effectively won't wear down, and therefore will not need the periodic adjustments to maintain your desired scraper bar height. And they also won't need to be replaced very often, even if you were using the machine a lot (maybe commercially).

Now, for longevity, I'm thinking you probably want to use sealed bearings, to reduce damage to the innards of the bearings from water and salt.

The rollerblade wheels might do a little better at keeping themselves rolling, vs bare-metal bearings? They'd try to conform a bit to the ground, maybe giving them a little more grip, to help encourage them to spin, vs drag. If they did start to drag, unfortunately, they'd more-quickly develop flat spots, ve a bare-metal bearing.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
If we assume that they keep spinning (vs locking up and dragging), then they effectively won't wear down, and therefore will not need the periodic adjustments to maintain your desired scraper bar height. And they also won't need to be replaced very often, even if you were using the machine a lot (maybe commercially).

That is a good point..thanks.

Although im not sure the wearing and adjusting of skids is that big of a concern..
I adjusted my skids and scraper bar height on my '71 Ariens when I first got it..10 years ago. ;)
They are still fine, after 10 years of Western NY lake effect snow belt winters.

Scot

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My 55 cents, I'm expensive, but fair.

I believe roller blade wheels would work better than bearings, imo, the larger the wheel, the better it will roll. Let's try trailer tires and wheels! Seriously, for the wheel to turn, you need traction, you need friction. Without friction to turn the wheel, the wheel will slide. And it's easy for the wheel to slide, it's snow! If it's sliding, then that's what skid shoes do. However, there are areas that are bare asphalt or concrete. In those areas, wheels would work and I believe roller blade wheels would roll the easiest.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My own opinion, wheels will work great on dry pavement where it makes full contact and will roll nicely. Not so sure on snow and ice? It seems more sliding than rolling. Definitely not on gravel!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Maybe UHMW? Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene? It's the next-level version of HDPE (High Density Polyethylene).

Having recently getting my driveway sealed, I think the rollerblade wheels approach is interesting. That way you don't have steel rolling/sliding across the pavement. But I bought the Ariens poly skids a few years ago, they've been working well so far. They have worn down a bit, but they have an awful lot of life left in them, even before I have to flip them over.

I put scooter wheels on the lil blower I like them alot
They work good slighty bigger then roller blade wheels
They are a GREAT help for relocating the machine if someone has a bad back it moves so easy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts