Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished up a set of "Roller Skids" for my 11/26 Cub Cadet and they work great. Here are some still and video's.

The two below are videos of how well it rolls.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Looks good. Hope you'll keep us posted on how they work when the snow starts flying. You'll have to trade your shorts and t-shirt in for something a little warmer though.:p

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Very interesting. One question though, do you have a bushing or bearing in them? Curious as that looks comparable to some cutting board material I've used and I had issues with wear points where an axel goes through them. I ended up finding some inline skate wheels that worked in place after the rollers wore enough (not in a snowblower setting) to develop slop in the axel area.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. One question though, do you have a bushing or bearing in them? Curious as that looks comparable to some cutting board material I've used and I had issues with wear points where an axel goes through them. I ended up finding some inline skate wheels that worked in place after the rollers wore enough (not in a snowblower setting) to develop slop in the axel area.
The material I used is called UHMW and also goes by such trade names as Delrin. It is a self lubricating type polyethylene and has very good wear characteristics. There is no bushing installed and the axle so to speak is just the unthreaded portion of the 3/8 bolt.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
I think they look good too. My only concern would be freezing up and not turning, and getting flat spots. That is not a criticism of your specific design, just a concern in general.

I guess time will tell. Good job!!!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clearance between the roller and the axle or bolt is very small and i did coat it with white lithium grease to help keep water out, I also placed o-rings on either side of the roller to help keep any moisture/water out. Only time will tell if this is a successful venture or not. Worse case i put the original skid shoes back on since these were just spares to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Carl

Worst case, if you had any issues in the future, it would be a simple mod to add a bronze bushing for the axels. Easy to find on the web or home supply stores, pretty sure even Ace Hdware carries them.

Regardless, looks great to me.

Paul

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Carl

Worst case, if you had any issues in the future, it would be a simple mod to add a bronze bushing for the axels. Easy to find on the web or home supply stores, pretty sure even Ace Hdware carries them.

Regardless, looks great to me.

Paul
I thought about using a bronze bushing when i built them but I figured that the plastic would be less prone to freezing then the brass/bronze busing against the stainless steel axle. This particular polyethylene is self lubricating and very wear resistant much more so than carbon steel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would the sealed bearings in skateboard wheels freeze up?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would the sealed bearings in skateboard wheels freeze up?

I am not sure if the "sealed" bearings in a skateboard wheel will freeze up or not I just didn't want to take the chance and the rolling resistance of this setup is very low. Since no bearings or bushings are employed the likelihood of freeze up is minimized. they are packed with white lithium grease just to help keep moisture out. Only time will tell how well it works, but, I don't foresee a freezing issue.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

We got about 2-3 inches of very wet snow yesterday. The roller skids worked like a charm. No freezing or icing up. The snow blower was a little overkill being an 11hp 26" machine. This was the first test of the snow blower since i only restored it last summer and it was a new/old machine to me at the time. I blew all the snow to the end of the driveway until it was about 15" deep then blew the already wet snow that i had piled up at the end of the drive way just for kicks. The 11hp Honda clone while working hard did not hesitate to move the snow with ease blowing the already blown wet stuff 30' feet or more. I did install a 1/2" larger drive pulley on it when i restored it so the impeller speeds are somewhat faster and the 14" impeller has also been modified for 1/16" impeller to housing clearance. (homemade clarance kit).

Having a true differential it was easy to turn and for such a heavy machine (325lbs) quite maneuverable. All in all I am very pleased with both the roller skids and the machine.

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Maiden voyage

Congrats on a successful maiden voyage of your blower. Shoulds like it all come together as you want/need it to be.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot all about this posting until i just read about roller skids on another thread. I have now three years of use on these skids and they are working as good today as the day i put them on the snow blower. There are no flat spots and i have not had to adjust the height due to wear. there appears to be a very small amount of wear after three years of use.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think that's great, Carl. Good job. Thanks for the update on a fairly old thread.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Carl - Where did you buy these "Roller Skids?"
I did not buy them i built them using an old pair of skids.
I used 1" UHMW and cut out a circle with a hole saw then bored the hole to the correct size. I just cut up an old pair of skids and welded a stainless steel bolt to the back to use an an axle. I did not use any bushings as i wanted to keep it as simple as possible and UHMW has very good wear and lubrication properties. Don't confuse UHMW with HDPE what cutting boards are typically made from. UHMW is much more wear resistant

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
The material I used is called UHMW and also goes by such trade names as Delrin. It is a self lubricating type polyethylene and has very good wear characteristics. There is no bushing installed and the axle so to speak is just the unthreaded portion of the 3/8 bolt.
CarlB, very nice mod! I like the attention to detail you put into it, with packing the shaft hole with grease, and adding o-rings at the sides to help keep water out.

Just note that Delrin is not a brand-name of UHMW PE. Delrin is acetal (POM), not a type of polyethylene. Just in case anyone is searching for Delrin, when trying to buy UHMW PE.

I'm glad the wheels are still working well!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts