Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
You know, with it's weight, you might be able to configure a sulky with a seat, of sorts. Maybe a barstool with some small skis?

Might get a few laughs from the neighbors.
I get plenty o' that anyway... :blink::popcorn: Actually I think it's you guys lookin' for a chuckle...:icon_smile_big:

If the Hill were flat and level it might be a fun idea to play around with. As it is I can see myself coming uncoupled and passing the Main Unit on the way down while recalculating the speed of light... a$$ up in a drift at the bottom while the augers churn steadily closer... no thanks.

Tried something like that once already on the 'Bota, once is enough.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Speaking of flat and level... all that just about brings us up to this season, my third with the Yanmar; the first two she's given me no surprises. Nothing broke, not even a shear pin (bent a couple, not from ingesting anything just wear). Doesn't use any oil, starts every time. Makes a lot of snow go away. Had some fun out under the stars more than once... that made me decide last season to upgrade the original light, which was quite dim by today's standards.

Amazon find, sold as a 'Hella' but I wasn't the only one to complain, evidently there was a mix-up somewhere. Not a real bad light for $10, but definitely not Hella quality. Stuck with it for the second season, and it was an improvement on the original. Also required installation of a switch, as the one for the stock unit was on the light itself.

Removed the rubber plug where the choke went on the gas-powered models and stuck it there. 20mm hole, 12mm switch... never was real happy with how I had to rig it, and there was clearance issues with some of the under-the-panel lever action, too close for comfort. Vowed to take care of that for season three, and also check into what seemed to be some oil leaking from the left side of the auger gearbox at the end of season two.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Once again overkill, but I like the way you think. :D Actually considered that, but a bit too much... also decided it would be too low, especially when Big snow, they'd be blocked.

What I found thanks to posts in the LED thread was these

...for the upgrade to LED front light, and also:

...for a rear light and possible chute light.

Finally got around to some install a week or two ago, very pleased with the results. For now, one 18w headlight mounted on the original bracket:

The included bolt fit the stock threads just right, included nut added as an additional locknut, because, why not.

And one 10w for the rear, mounted via a fortuitously placed factory threaded hole/welded inner nut, which would support the chute control shaft bushing bracket on a manually operated unit. Just sitting there empty...

...waiting for some purpose in life.

The light's hardware (M6) bolted right in, and again I was able to get an additional lock nut on the other side. That also provided a nice place to ground the unit so I only had to run a power wire up to the lighting connector.

Previously mentioned Result:

Do Like. :)

The auger oil issue turned out to be... a non-issue, what happened was I mistook a drip for Niagara and put in way too much oil. Got an owner's manual in the interim so armed with Information I drained and refilled the box to the correct level, and it's not seeping now so that's gtg I think. Have fresh seals in hand, just in case.

She got a fresh battery too this month, since I found a nice Hitachi on sale; the old one was of unknown age/history and was reluctant to take a full charge when I first pulled it. Been nursing it a bit and it seems pretty fair now, I'll find a home for it somewhere that doesn't require emergency duty at o'dark:30.
___

Well that about brings this all up-to-date, sorry for the repeats for those who have seen in t'other thread... everything from here on out should be new content... Hopefully we get a nice dumping on so I can grab some action shots :hope: and Play. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
191 Posts
WOW, great light output.......seriously!!!

In examining the Amazon link, I noticed some very interesting details....to me.

Scroll down and follow:

Product Information>Technical Details>Origin>Andorra

Huh....say what......Andorra????
I guess its an example of our global sales market.......?

I've been in Andorra........its one road on a mountain top perched between France and Spain......with hotels, restaurants, bars, and shops that catered to snow skiing. Other that that.....there wasn't much there....but that was 43 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Anyway.......great lighting!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Hmm, you could add one of those other lights to the end of the chute, the black section. Then you could illuminate where you are throwing it, or have a remote controlled spot light.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Probably have to be lower down, on the main chute; I think they'd be subject to a little too much action/vibration up there. Would be cool to have it 'track' but some creative aiming might do the trick too. Or maybe a smaller/lighter light... hmm.

WOW, great light output.......seriously!!!

Product Information>Technical Details>Origin>Andorra

Huh....say what......Andorra????
I guess its an example of our global sales market.......?

I've been in Andorra........its one road on a mountain top perched between France and Spain......with hotels, restaurants, bars, and shops that catered to snow skiing. Other that that.....there wasn't much there....but that was 43 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Anyway.......great lighting!
Thanks... reasonable too, not much not to like so far. We'll see how they hold up...

Re. Andorra... Typo? :roll3yes: Or maybe the Chinese have made a copy of that too... :D

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Hey what are friends for? ....

But to put you up to ridiculous ideas.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
When I was six years old I built a snowblower from Legos.

Today, a city of 350,000 people still uses it to clear their streets.

If you google "Hold my beer and watch this" my picture appears.

And making "ridiculous" become "reality" is a process I have patented. Several times.

So be careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

Not the bar stool on skis though... holy crap... :blink:

Chute light definite probability. :eek:k:

Please standby//

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh yeah the switch...

Camera not wanting to cooperate tonight...

Perfect @20mm, just had to file an index slot, nice and shallow so no more interference worries. Lit when lights on, option to be lit when key on just by switching two wires. Rated 15a at 12v so plenty of capacity.

Not waterproof... not thinking it's going to be an immediate problem but I found one of identical physical and electrical dimensions equipped with a boot on the 'zon just in case, red light though. Might swap it when it comes, we'll see.

Previous post just kidding... that google beer guy is totally someone else. :D

Steady on//

·
Registered
389 Posts
Not waterproof... not thinking it's going to be an immediate problem but I found one of identical physical and electrical dimensions equipped with a boot on the 'zon just in case, red light though. Might swap it when it comes, we'll see.
Would a piece of shrink tubing give you the same thing and let you keep your current light? Depends on where the lack of waterproofing is I guess.

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The backside is fine, problem would be anything getting in from the front of the panel/switch, combined with the enemy of time. Not really a thing, the blown snow goes far away and she's covered when not in use so.

The other switch inbound is this one:

·
Registered
279 Posts
beautifull machine.. would love to try one of those beasts out in person.. great write up btw.. and i also vote for seeing your machine in action.. video is a must see i think ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Say YR, any chance you can repost your photos from this thread after you find a better image hosting source?

This is/was a very cool thread.

Good going on the service manual find.

Well today I came across a full service manual for the Mighty Yanmarrrrr. The user manual covers many needed things but more smrats is always better.

Should be in hand later this week.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
happy holidays

Ohio From Ithaca, Yanmar Ronin,

Your photobucket images do not come up. I have the images of the gauge pegged at the highest reading of 100% with the statement; "Please enable your third party hosting".

I am not complaining one bit, I love your photos and hope to visit the Northern Island some day along with the AKIMA tunnel and the Karasawa Limestone Mine and Kadena as a civilian if it is still active.

Another option for lighting the mighty Yanmar may be the mounting an LED light bar that can be mounted as work lights like the 12 volt mercury vapor lamps used for fire rescue trucks. They have the lights mounted on the inner pole and it is adjustable and would be locked in place with a cotter pin pushed in drilled hole and held in place with a spring hairpin cotter key.

Me, I hope to see both a 2018 Zaugg SNOW BEAST, a Zaugg BULL DOG and a tracked ROBOFLAIL with a single stage motorized Reist single stage snow blower mounted on the roboflail carrier, with a fleet of HB1600S and HB1200S Beilhack self propelled railway snow clearers owned by me contracted to BNSF and Union Pacific to clear snow and see the expensive to own and operate rotary plow trains they own retired once and for all.

Some of my favorite internet images from over the years:
Now if I can keep Fluffy from causing anymore scandals and Basement Cats fur baby from tormenting the German Shepard things will be calm for a while.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks. :eek:ccasion14:

The M.Y. is already equipped with LED lighting upgrades, front and rear.

What I need to do is go back and upload all of the images directly to the Forum, then edit all the posts. On the 'to do' list.

If you're using Firefox there is an extension you can install to view PB blocked images; I believe similar is available for other browsers. At least as a temporary solution...

·
Registered
842 Posts
lost by $2.50 stinks big time, gave up on flybay as i too lost many to those guys waiting till the last moment which many times is the seller using a auto post software to drive up the price .bet you see it relisted in a few days with a higher asking price on it.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.