Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
battlechaser said:
Anybody recognize this machine? Not much info online. Picked it up for $50 this weekend with the engine torn apart (flywheel and the belt cover are missing). I've already got the old Tecumseh off and the pulley is soaking in Honey Goo to try and get it off later.

I did a repower a couple years ago with help from this forum on an older rebranded MTD 5/22 (Thanks again to GustoGuy and Toro-8-2-4 who were a great help with modding instructions), which was fun, but unfortunately a frozen newspaper was a bit much for the welds on that machine and well, it's dead, Jim. So I figured I might like to keep the Powerfist 6.5 I have on it that only saw a winter of use and pick up something more interesting to play with. Considering the Mastercraft unit I had was catwalking after the swap i figured it would be fine.

It looks like a fairly straight-forward swap after taking a lot of it apart, man is this thing ever built like a tank. The plate the engine bolts too looks at least 1/8" thick. Also its chain driven as well and to my joy there are grease nipples everywhere on it, so im assuming it was made sometime in the late 60s / early 70s.

Thanks in advance,

-B

(Taken from my introduction post)
Did a little more work to the machines today, got the donor motor (Powerfist 6.5hp) off my old Mastercraft (MTD) 5/22 chassis, sad to see it go, I did a bit of work to that machine. I think I may keep it around for a bit to see if I can track down another to swipe the auger side from. Anyhow, I also tested it before ripping it off the other blower, and got it installed on the Roper. Everything lined up and bolted on nice. I also fanangled one of the old belts onto the old drive pulley to see if the auger would spin. Pretty big success on that one. I also even got the remote throttle connected and working. I ordered the output shaft adapter and a 3 jaw puller (eBay and Amazon respectively). So the list is getting a little smaller. Right now I have to:

-Get belts
-New tires (probably X tracs)
-Change the oil in the motor and the auger differential
-Grease everything that has a fitting with snowmobile grease
-Pick up a few bolts and new shear pins

I'll probably wait till next summer to strip most of it down and give it a paint job. As it sits...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So I've got it together and run it through a few snowfalls. It seems to be running well, I find it chews powder for lunch, but isn't a huge fan of the super wet stuff. I still have to do the impeller mod though, so hopefully that will lead to some improvement. The tires are pretty much shot, but I've just taken to airing them up before use. Also need to make a belt cover and chute extension as well as replace the old shear pins, but definitely happy I'm not shoveling my driveways by hand. Also up-sized my auger pulley to try and gain a little more RPM on the second stage which seems to work well, (went from about 2.5" to 3.15") still has enough torque to move all but the wettest slush. It would be nice to have a little more power, but the little 6.5hp seems to throw snow fine for the most part. Also was pleasantly surprised to find a new friction disc in the machine when I tore into it as well. Thinking Xtracs in the spring, and around that time tear it down for paint and maybe do a power chute mod as well. We'll see.
 

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top