Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I acquired a Roper two stage snow blower that doesn't currently start. It sat for an unknown number of years. I haven't been able to find any manual, or parts list in my searches. If you have one, or know where I can find one, please let me know. I drained the fuel and oil, replaced the fuel lines, checked for spark, and cleaned the carb. I have never rebuilt a carburetor before, and I'm not sure I have things adjusted correctly to start. It has fresh gas and oil. Any tips would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to SBF Mr.Smith. The stamped 737 number on your carb body indicates it is Tecumseh carb number 632113. Looks like a 5 hp motor.

https://www.ebay.com/p/16019461576?iid=312135441137&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=312135441137&targetid=809743851585&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9021615&poi=&campaignid=6470742422&mkgroupid=80120006760&rlsatarget=pla-809743851585&abcId=1141156&merchantid=101709251&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Mmzzbrs5AIVUr7ACh3jAQ81EAQYAiABEgJzmvD_BwE

Remove the spark plug and squirt a little gas into the cylinder, install plug and see if the engine tries to start. If it does, the carb may be dirty or worse. If it doesn't try to start, you may have ignition or possibly valve problems.

Engine manual-
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My engine is only a 4hp. The link for the carb is not the right part, so I will do some more checking there. I am definitely having a carburetor issue though. It does not seem like fuel is making it from the carb to the motor. I sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake and it fired right up for a second.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would suggest trying to clean the carb , but if it were mine, I'd just replace it with one from E-bay...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My engine is only a 4hp. The link for the carb is not the right part.

What is different about the ebay carb and yours? If yours is non adjustable, this is an improvement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep in mind I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. On the carb in the link you provided it looks like there is the main jet and also an adjustment screw on the bowl. On the carb I have, there is just the main jet on the bowl and the adjustment screw is on the side. The manual you provided has been helpful. I have identified the type of engine, it is definitely a Tecumseh, I pulled the carburetor off and need to clean it again.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
There are two style Tecumseh carbs. One has a low speed adjustment screw on the side and a high speed adjustment screw on the bottom. The other carb is not adjustable and has a bowl nut which is actually the main jet and an idle jet under a plastic cap on the side which is NOT adjustable.
Given a choice, the adjustable carb is your best bet.

Below shows the two styles and a link to carb instructions for many different models. Both style carbs could have a spring loaded drain on the bottom.

Small Engine, Lawn Mower, Snowthrower Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a little more of my own reading, I did order the carb Grunt suggested. It came in yesterday. I put it on today. It fired right up! Thank you for the links you shared. They were very helpful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts