Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Interesting... I found these for sale on eBay and Amazon for roughly $10 to $15 shipped. Could be an interesting option to add, especially since it also measures engine operating hours for maintenance purposes. The ease of installation is also chimp-proof. :D

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Digital-Tach-Hour-Meter-Tachometer-Gauge-for-Dirt-bike-ATV-with-2-or-4-stroke-/121404224809?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c44417529&vxp=mtr

The ENGINE MONITOR is a self powered LCD hour meter, tachometer and maintenance meter. An internal lithium battery furnishes the power for the monitor. A wire around the spark plug wire of the engine provides both a tachometer signal an indicator that the engine is running. The maintenance meter is used to alert maintenance personnel that a time interval has expired and maintenance shuold be performed on the engine. Before changing any settings to the engine Monitor , ENSURE THAT THE ENGINE IS OFF.

Features :

- Brand New, Waterproof.
- Easy to install
- High quality,Durable
- Replaceable internal battery
- 12V Working Power
- No more guessing for the oil change
- Show both engine rpm and hours of operation
- Read up to 99,999 rpm
- Programmable maintenance interval setting
- Color : Black
- Cable Length: About 156cm (61.4")
- Compatible with : Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Harley, KTM, Ducati, Aprilia, Vespa, Kymco, Piaagio, Agusta, KTM, BMW Motorcycles / Choppers/ Scootors / Bikes / ATVs /Quad (with all 4 stroke or 2 stroke gas engines)
Not too sure how that battery would hold up in the cold though... or if this electronic unit is fully weatherproof. I'd much rather prefer an analog version of this, if it existed - problem is, although analog gauges do exist, you'd still need an independent power supply (battery) if you have no vehicle battery/alternator to hook up the gauge to (typically 12V).

On this digital unit the LCD could *potentially* crap out the first time you roll it out of the garage in deep-freeze temperatures. I've seen LCD displays act very funny in the cold, as the crystals freeze up... and sometimes they don't return to normal operation afterwards.

Thoughts?

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
we have a few members using a tac / hour meter

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have a few members using a tac / hour meter
Great! :)

Any word on what kind of tachs they are using and if it's a permanent installation? The meter above might be good as a tune-up tester for the price, but perhaps not so good if installed permanently.

Feedback from those using it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
the question is " how accurate is the meter "

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the question is " how accurate is the meter "
Probably just as accurate as the next Chinese-made meter. Same poorly soldered electronic crap inside, just in a different box. It's not like we have a choice though. :eek:

Hail the Global Economy! An era where everything is disposable and not worth the hassle of returning for a refund...

:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
so if you think its a crappy meter why would you trust it with your briggs motor

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
So far my chinese crappy hour meter works great and seem acurate enough.
But if you have nothing to compare it to, how can you even know its "accurate enough"?

I can go out and just listen to my snowblower and say, "yep, that seems about right"..
(not having the slightest clue if its good or not!) ;)
How is this meter any different than my uncalibrated ear?
I have no real reason to believe either one..

Scot

·
Retired Moderator
9,898 Posts
I have a couple like Coby7 on my riders. They were the early ones without replaceable batteries. They are stored in unheated sheds all year and seem to hold up ok, 2yrs so far. I would think the replaceable ones should have a similar life expectancy of at least 2 years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess it's probably not as accurate as a SnapOn (if they even make one), but it's more accurate than my ear. :eek:

For about 10$, I figure it's worth a try. Worst case, you're out ten bucks...

;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have that exact one, Got it on AMAZON, only issue I see is the paperworks says battery is non-replaceable and has life expectancy of 3-5 years (if I remember correctly, lost the paperwork) but I must say it's working fine on it's second year. I'm thinking I can open it up and replace it when the time comes, even if it's a solder in type I'm a tech by trade and I can find the parts but it was cheap and works at least for now. Love the dual function, it's an hour meter when the engine is off, and a tach when it's running. So oil change intervals are easy to determine, I keep a sheet of paper tacked up in the garage with my oil types and run hrs for the blower and generator just to keep track. Lithium batteries, especially soldered in type, are GREAT in the cold. That's the type you want. It's the only type I buy for my outdoor thermo.hudro sensor for the weather station too. Batteries that are not soldered in have a tendancy to have the contacts be affected by condensation and need to be cleaned once a year, but at least they would be replaceable so if you find one like that it's probably worth the extra money because these can be moved to your next blower should you decide to change models. I love useful gadgets :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
TELL US where you got it there BROTHER CC.
Hardline was an A m a z o n purchase.

My Sirometer came from fleabay long before people started calling it fleabay....Here's one branded with your favorite engine manufacturer:
:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is a nice one!
I bought a few black ones of these for my OPE. Not sure if I like them or not yet. The display on the one I put on my blower seems effected by it's vibration. Not a good thing. I think I'd rather have the one Claudek has.

·
Registered
657 Posts
ClaudeK, that looks great.. My only question is when you pop the battery out to clean the contacts or change it does it hold the hours or reset to 0 ? In the text it says total hours not resettable so that would lead me to believe that it holds them. Either way it's okay if you're writing it down as you go or making a mental note. Still, I would be interested to know if it holds settings. That looks like its nice and easy to read.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
For those of you worried about removable battery contacts corroding, put a small dab of petroleum gelly (vaseline) on them. Contacts will not oxidize afterwards.

Also, dielectric grease used for spark plug connections works just as good. It's essentially the same stuff, but more expensive.

If you want to go uber cheap, a veteran GM mechanic I know uses ATF (auto trans fluid) on everything that has to do with electrical connections on a car. A drop or two keep electrical connections nice and shiny for a long time, plus ATF is plastic friendly.

Having used these methods, I am yet to experience any oxidized contacts on my battery operated equipment...

;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts