Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have one of these tachs too and love your clip idea

Much better than wrapping the wire around 4 or 5 times.

Does the clip make for a good, reliable pick up?

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
That's cool. I really like that idea as I keep one loose for testing machines I don't intend to keep or want to install a tach on permanently.
So much easier than wrapping the wire, tieing, testing and then having to cut the tie off and remove. Just clip and go. :wink2:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Groomerz I have the same one and as the others have stated...wrapping wire is a pain!!!!
Once it is done it is fine but annoying. I had mine attached on dash with velcro worked great. But when I engine swapped I had to remove and wrecked velcro so I have to start a new with new velcro and now I might add that clamp.

Nice and quick with clamp. Is that an easy find????

I also might upgrade to this one due to Backlight!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/i/332514518214?chn=ps

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have a DTI Tiny Tach 20K. Not as cheap as the Chinese stuff, but I figure a far better chance of it working more than a well, and it can be setup for multiple ignition types and cylinder counts. Best of all, on most engines, it requires *no* lead whatsoever, although it does have one (with a far better clip than that huge thing . . ) as well. Not cheap, but then again . . . I do feel that I got what I paid for.

https://www.tinytach.com/handheld-tachometers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Groomerz,
I have the same one and I love it. Nice touch with the clip. I have mine wrapped because it is a permanent configuration.

I like the way it is a tach while running and an hour meter when not running.

It's been on for five years and is still working, so I believe it will last awhile.

Bruce

·
Registered
115 Posts
The clip is a great Idea. I do not have much luck with the Chinese tachs. I have tried 3 and each one worked fine all winter until a wet snow and then they fogged up and stopped working until they dried out. On one, the programming went wonky and it just runs through the settings and will not read anything correctly. Even tried sealing them with fingernail polish and silicon. The one I have left I use as a tester, so I will be getting a clip.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got clip at ace hardware in the parts drawers had 4 different sizes and also had black or red insulating rubber covers I liked the larger clip as the jaws have a gap when closed that is about the diameter of sp wire so the clip won’t damage the wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same tach, also like the clip idea. I don't permanently mount the tach so never got around to putting a clip, come summer when i need things to tinker around with i'll give it a go and do the clip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
great idea...I (also) have that tach...Q- did you cut off the end of the orig wire (it has a plastic bulb on it) and then strip the wire back for an electrical connection to the clip?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kenora mine didn’t have a bulb on the end just plain wire stripped it back an inch doubled it up and screwed to clip

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know I sort of over due things sometimes. But I have 4 generators 2 Snowblowers and I put a tach on everything.I grew up with a Tach and dwell.Now I might have to get another tach and put a clip on it to keep the other ones honest. Good Idea. Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up a clamp just like yours and then stripped off the wire to connect it to the clip. I discovered that my tachometer has two wires inside the main outer cable. I am not sure to strip both of them { one red ,one black wire } or leave the casings on and then screw them down to the clamp. Just use the red one?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’d try red one 1st and if no go try the the black. Just tape the unused lead My guess it’s a ground or shield wire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts