Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ppl, new to the forum. I'm really glad communities like this exist, they've helped me fix all sorts of stuff.

I have an (early 80's?) Honda HS35 single-stage that runs a G150 engine. I bought it used off of Craigslist a few years ago, but it's given me **** ever since.

It will run just fine for about 15 minutes. Then, it will start to lose power, only throwing snow a foot or so. Then, it starts to surge repeatedly; closing the choke keeps it alive for just a little bit longer. Then it dies. A gurgling sound can be heard from the engine, and gas leaks out of the air intake on the carb.

I originally thought it was a vacuum problem, but loosening the gas cap didn't make a difference. Then I thought it was a carburetor problem; I cleaned the carb and that didn't work, so I replaced it with a brand new carb, and that didn't fix it either. The governor springs seem to be in good repair, and the governor moves back and forth as (I think) it should.

With the overabundance of gas when it dies, it appears to be flooding while it runs, which is weird. Perhaps the engine is out of timing, so that the governor pulls away when there's less gas and releases when there's more? I suppose it could be an issue with the carb, but I'm reluctant to think that since the carb is basically brand new.

Any thoughts or leads you guys have would be much appreciated. I'm very handy with a wrench but I'm coming to my wit's end with this piece.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum, with this you will have to take it step by step and answer us a few question. First how long the gas in the tank has been?
Is there a gas line filter or there might be one inside the tank, as I would remove all gas in the tank and check the filter. This is what you should start with. Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response!

The gas has been in there since late summer, but I put Sta-Bil in it. And yes, there's an in-line filter; it was brand new when I installed it late Summer.

Another weird thing I need to add is that when it starts to get weak and surge, if I tip the snowblower back, it will die almost completely; if I put it back down it will continue to run.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

The gas has been in there since late summer, but I put Sta-Bil in it. And yes, there's an in-line filter; it was brand new when I installed it late Summer.

Another weird thing I need to add is that when it starts to get weak and surge, if I tip the snowblower back, it will die almost completely; if I put it back down it will continue to run.
With the ethanol blend some people have problems within a month even with Stabil but before you get further we have to make sure you have good gas delivery from the tank and I would first flush all gas from the tank and even the line and the carb. At that point there's a good chance you also have a filter screen inside the tank and verify if it's plugged a bit and verify your new inline filter by blowing through it. It doesn't take long to replug itself with bad gas.
On your last item depending on how much gas there is in the tank your small intake tube in the tank could have been installed a bit high hence when level it runs but when inclined no gas is reaching the inside tube. It has been seen before to act as such.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
you probably have ignition issues, if its the cdi or the excitor thats gone bad, then be prepared to spend 80 for the excitor and another 80 for the cdi module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am fairly certain this model has ignition points. they're a pain in the ass to get to, as they're under the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
you probably have ignition issues, if its the cdi or the excitor thats gone bad, then be prepared to spend 80 for the excitor and another 80 for the cdi module.

Wouldn't he just check for sparks after his 15 min. of play and no work?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If you know the fuel is ok next thing is check for spark. I use an adjustable gap type set to 'SE' (small engine) Clip it to the sparkplug and run it while watching for spark. Should be a nice bright blue. I have had this one for many years and have solved many automotive, power equipment, and motorcycle ignition problems.
Agreed as I wanted to discount any gas delivery problems and then go to ignition. Your ignition testing gizmo is very interesting as I will order one. Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Could I use an automotive timing light?
You would need an external 12V source to energize the strobe, but it would not give you any sort of indication of the spark strength.

Did you replace the plug?

Here's an idea for a DIY spark tester:

·
Registered
551 Posts
The fact that you can lean the machine back and it runs better seems like fuel starvation. Maybe remove the fuel hose at the carb and see if it will drain the tank with the cap on.

If the fuel is known to be good, and the volume of gas available is good, spark verified while running with a gap test, next check would be valve clearance.

just how i would go about it

·
Registered
374 Posts

Since you installed the filter.....how old was the machine prior to this filter. Is it possible that the carb has garbage in it prior to your filter install.

Sounds to me like a fuel problem. I would super clean the carb.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
May also want to consider checking the compression. Some auto parts stores, offer loaner tools.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I just re-read the OP. The gurgling sound could be a clue. It could be getting hot and boiling the fuel in the carb or line. I'd check for cooling and ventilation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The fact that it runs OK for 15min's and then can be coaxed a bit by using the choke doesn't send me in the direction of ignition. I'd think your problem is almost for sure fuel related. I had a similar problem in the 60's with a friends Triumph MC. Almost full tank of gas, would run about 15min's or so and starve out, pull over add about a pint of gas and good for another 15min's. In the end the problem was the fuel tank vent in the fill cap was clogged.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Possibly a bad or incorrect fuel filter?? There are many types, the ones I am thinking of are about 3/4" thick and 1 1/2" in diameter. The red ones are for gravity systems and the white ones are for engines with fuel pumps. I have heard of fuel delivery issues when a white filter is used on a gravity type system because of the screen size in microns. :confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts