Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its amazing the lack of maintenance on so many machines...

This Sears Auger was rust welded to the shaft big time. Perseverance on my part, along with some heat, puller, Trizol (weasel piss, penetrating oil), and some shocking of the auger shaft by hammering on it, finally slid off. Side 2 is on this mornings job list. Note, this Benzomatic pistol gun is the best thing, a bit expensive, but needed if you don't have a set of torches. Of course the air gun to shock while running up the puller is a great asset.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Nice work. They can be a pain sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,025 Posts
nice. another method i can use for the hardcore stuck augers.

did the puller damage the end threads ?

·
Super Moderator
2,681 Posts
Good to see another way of yanking off the auger rakes. Personally I use a torch, penetrating oil and a hydraulic press. I did make a tool to help crack a rusted auger rake loose. It's just a piece of steel pipe (sized to fit over the auger shaft) with a cap welded on one end. Heat the rake center with torches, use penetrating oil and every so often put it into a 2x4 stand I made, slip tool over the end of the shaft and give it a wack with a heavy mall. Like you found, sometimes if you 'shock' it enough you can crack it a little loose then get it off with the hydraulic press.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@orang,

No damage to the puller threads, but a rusted on auger is a total nightmare for sure. The air gun on the puller was the biggest help, along with my Yankee ingenuity to hook up the puller. I finally got the other one off today:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts