Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few photos of my 1962 S262 full restoration. Took 67 hours of restoration time.

This is what is in it:

1) Full overhaul of the 6HP B&S engine with all OEM parts. Standard piston & rings, valves, points and condenser and rebuilt carb with cylinder milled head ( Someone used a rough wire wheel at one time to clean the head)

2) 80% of the machine was sandblasted and powder coated. Transmission area was just de-greased and sprayed with Rustoleum Regal Red.

3) New tires and tubes

4) New Scraper bar and skids ( Machined myself)

5) New belts

6) Every nut and bolt is now stainless steel.

7) Handle bars are re-chromed with new handle grips

Price to restore (Parts and Powder coating, paint and chrome) -$1585.00

This unit , (Not this particular one), was my first ever snowblower I purchased for $200.00 back in 1976. I sold that unit, but came across this unit 42 years later...(Must be my midlife crisis !)

She runs just like the one I had back in 1976...everyone is telling me not to use it ...Just a great machine made by proud Americans, built like a tank !

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Wowzers !! Great job , and worth every penny on the resto.....they dont make em like that anymore !

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Super job there! If someone gives you crap about the $$ spent, tell them it was this or wine, women and gambling. They can take their choice where to spend it. Bet that shuts them up.

Great looking machine there.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Almost looks as good as mine.:biggrin: Just kidding, it looks great.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/attachments/general-snowblower-discussion/132881d1518831868-snowbird-functionality-2nd-none-dsc_6744.jpg

With fifty years service on these machines the differentials need rebuilding. Shafts will wear where seals ride causing gear oil leaks, bearings sludge up and wear from decades old lube and most important the thrust bearing alongside the bronze gear disintegrates causing misalignment to the worm promoting a worn gear, .018" free play at gear brings it back into spec. Gear cases unless removed from machine and opened previously will have a half inch of sludge inside which does not drain out and causes the above problems. Your stick shift linkage needs some fine tuning so when in neutral it is straight up.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost looks as good as mine.:biggrin: Just kidding, it looks great.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/attachments/general-snowblower-discussion/132881d1518831868-snowbird-functionality-2nd-none-dsc_6744.jpg

With fifty years service on these machines the differentials need rebuilding. Shafts will wear where seals ride causing gear oil leaks, bearings sludge up and wear from decades old lube and most important the thrust bearing alongside the bronze gear disintegrates causing misalignment to the worm promoting a worn gear, .018" free play at gear brings it back into spec. Gear cases unless removed from machine and opened previously will have a half inch of sludge inside which does not drain out and causes the above problems. Your stick shift linkage needs some fine tuning so when in neutral it is straight up.:wink2:
Appreciate the info...That stick shift linkage is another "Fine Tune" project on a rainy day...I did everything I could on the left side adjustment bracket, (working it up and down) but I think there is too much play in the linkages, next to straightening out the linkage..I'm surprised it works like a charm in forward or reverse. I've worked on these machines years ago and I would spend hours with that forward and reverse belt adjustment...That is the only flaw I noticed on these machines...Those reverse belts would chew right up if not adjusted properly...

The owner of this unit told me he changed transmission oil every year, and I was quite surprised that the oil was quite clean with no sludge buildup upon examination...( I lucked out !) That's why I didn't open it up...Transmission runs solid...If I had to rebuild...there are no parts available that I know of...back to the machine shop I guess...

I appreciate everyone's comments.... They are helpful !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts