Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 9-26 Husqvarna last fall and seemed to run very good. No funny noises and moved around and auger seemed to be ok. Got it ready for winter by checking and replacing oil also adjusted belts etc. First snow it seemed all right first few feet then nothing out shoot. Looked in box and nothing. A couple weeks later I finally pulled auger housing of ( checked shaft coming from motor to gear box and if free wheeled without auger turning) and found that auger shaft worm gear was almost chewed off and main steel gear it rides on had its teeth chewed also . Been to a couple dealers and shaft is available for $300Can but gear is not available.
Went on a few sites and one is available in Texas for almost $300AM(main gear)
So right now it will cost around $600 for 2 parts to fix. I think it is worth fixing as rest of blower is solid -no rust-and looks only a few years old but according to #on tag it is an 96 or 09????????
One site says month/week/year other says something else.
Everytime I put in model number it doesn't accept it.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 32” Bolens after a few years of use. Turned out that the auger gear box was never lubricated and dumb me, I never though of checking it. Just curious, did you find any sign off lubricant in the gear box?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have changed that gear on a few machines BUT it seems Husqvarna will NOT sell the worm gear, Only the entire gear box so I avoid them now. No buying used ones to repair and resell them for me for this reason.

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I like the colors of the Husqavarna! I'd buy it for the colors and the features. I wouldn't buy it after being on SnowblowerForum.com

IMO Husqavarna is riding off their long ago great chainsaw reputation. At one time the top three professional chainsaws in the world were, Husqavarna, Jonsered, and Stihl. 35 years ago I owned all three, Husqavarna was the best, Jonsered second, Stihl third but not last. I had three or four Stihls. Husqavarna cut the fastest, ran the smoothest; similar for the Jonsered; Stihl was tough, always could count on it. I also owned two Poulans, two Homelites, and two Echos. Echo was the weakest cutting.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
Have you considered trying to find a nice used machine with a blown engine and moving yours over onto it ?? Unless your Husky is in pretty good condition I'd be hesitant about spending that kind of money fixing it but I don't know what machines in your area new or used go for.

Can you go into User CP and add your location. I'm guessing it's Canada but it'd be nice to be sure plus it makes a difference in your parts source and price.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
'Safted" shafted lost in canadian french to english conversion .

agree with husky's no longer being good, maybe from them trying to be the mtd of europe , care to try and get parts for a REAL jonsered saw today.

·
Retired Moderator
9,915 Posts
Off topic but I feel your pain. I tried to get my Jonsered 910E ported and they wouldn't touch it. I just wish there were more sources for keeping the well built older stuff alive without resorting to machine shops or Bandaid quality repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Off topic but I feel your pain. I tried to get my Jonsered 910E ported and they wouldn't touch it. I just wish there were more sources for keeping the well built older stuff alive without resorting to machine shops or Bandaid quality repairs.
aware of off topic

just since husky took over many brand names parts have become almost impossible to get for the ones they took over and simply added plastic trim to a pulan or mc and renamed as a 50 hour throw away

hope the op comes back and tells us he got lost in his canadian french to english

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gear`

Thanks for reply from (help) but the number you gave is not the part number I posted My part number is 506 701 501 . I couldn't find your part 525 489 701.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First there is no french to English mistake as the h didn't show up when I typed.
And I don't have a pole saw !
I posted the right part numbers I needed for a 9/26 snowblower

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I'm not sure what else to tell you. Your part is available from multiple sellers in the US (found by searching for 506701501, with no spaces).

Jack's Small Engines, $140:

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/husqvarna/506701501

PartsTree, $150:

https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna/parts/506701501/

eReplacementParts, $153:

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/gear-worm-p-659204.html

It looks like all 3 stores ship to Canada.

If those prices are too high, you can watch eBay and see if a used gear comes up for sale. Or try to buy a similar machine locally, cheap, maybe with a blown engine. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else can be offered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts