Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my intro, I mentioned my back. L4/L5 disc blown out. Will have fusion operation early Dec, just in time for the snow :) .

I need a blower that will not make me bull it around, throw the snow at least 35 feet, handle 20" when necessary and cut through the EOD plow dams well enough, but most importantly that has a steering system where I will not damage a healing back.

In my intro I mentioned the Ariens Platnium with the ATC or the Husky with their steering system, but Shryp has made me now consider a Toro OXE.

The Toro looks like it has a good steering system, but their website says the 826 OXE and the 828 OXE are "Ideally used to clear 6-14" ". I need to handle more snow than that.

I've read all the reviews I can find and seen most of the you-tube vids. Who has personal experience with any of these and can tell me about steering and depth of snow these can handle?

Thanks much.

-Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Bill

My very close friend and neighbor just went through the same surgery you are about to go through. It was done just before last snow season. And even though he was told not to, he was out running his blower every chance he got. Of course I was there to help him out.

Any how he has a poulan (not sure how to spell that) pro, 24", and I do believe it has a 9hp on it. I know its not one of the best blowers out there but let me tell you what, it can blower some serious snow. Here we get a lot of snow as well as being plowed in with anywhere for 2-4 feet of snow at the end of the drive. A couple of times its been closer to 5-6 feet. Now thats a lot of hard, wet and heavy snow. His poulon really surprised me, Ive witnessed it throwing snow anywhere for 35-50 feet, and thats with deep wet snow. I ran it a couple times myself and you in now way have to "bull it around".

It doesnt not have the power steering or any of that kind of fancy stuff but despite what some people say, it has turned out to be a **** good machine for my friend. **** even I was a little skeptical about it when he bought it.

Im sorry I couldnt give you any info on the machines you mentioned but I thought I would give you a little info on what I do know about. LOL.

Hope it helps some if any and good luck with your surgery
Cody

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cody,

(I'd it the "thanks" button, but that hack hasn't been added :D )

I am a little nervous about manual steering. Besides the 100 x 25 driveway, we have about 600 ft of paths around the house over uneven ground (literally. I've paced them off - don't ask why unless you feel like reading OT whining :rolleyes: ). So as you can imagine I need a beast that can maneuver itself.

Heck, I may even want to connect a sulky to it
(do people attach sulkies to snow blowers ??? hmmmmm)

-Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Avoid the Ariens ATC. It DOES NOT help steering. It is basically a limited slip differential. If you want easy steering then I would go with the Toro. But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had the same disc's blow out last fall and could not even walk. One doctor said only way to fix is surg, the other doc sent me to p/t. I did the p/t and it worked great. It took me a month to feel good but it worked. Try it first before you go under the knife! I had no trouble last winter using my 69 ariens.
I would go with the ariens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts