Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Smp 860, Arns 22k, 924026, Pwrlite
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have "inherited" a Sarlo mower. I know nothing about them but it seems interesting and stout. Anybody have one?
5 hp Briggs and Stratton I/C runs the blade with a belt off the vertical shaft. A second, horizontal shaft powers the drive mechanics. Looks well used but reasonably well maintained. (stored inside, oil on the dip stick):) Looking forward to using it on a hilly up-country yard.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Never heard or seen one of them, but looks like a very well built and as the sticker says commercial machine.
Very interesting machine that should clean up very well with a good bath and maybe even a coat of wax.
I would guess 80's vintage based on the warning label on the deck?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds right.
I was surprised to see a 2nd horizontal pto. It belt drives a secondary shaft with gear/ chain to drive axle. Kinda snowblower like:) Chain is slack and bicycle style rear wheels seem a few ball bearings short of a full load. I will get to go over it when my chores are done. Coming dear....:p

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks familiar. I think one of my early grade schools had one or at least very similar to one like that. Nice. 👍

Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve never heard of those. Sweet machine in my book, I’d give it the full restore treatment.
I bet you would! :)
I did fire it up today, and motor runs fine, so that's good .Lots of slop in the drive though with play in shaft bearings and wheel bearings.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well not only were the wheel bearings shot but I found the wheels to way out of round. Egg like:cautious: So an added expense I didn't expect, and can't find exactly what I want. Going to use a never-flat IPO pneumatics which concerns me as drive is by rollers pressing on tire. If tires are unforgiving I guess I can add a spring on drive handle to mimic the give of an air filled tire. There is a broken weld on the frame too which had been repaired before. Plot thickens. Oh, the blade spindle has no slop so thats good.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Those tires look like a pneumatic bike tire .... The drive cog being brought into the tire should be adjustable and made to just put slight pressure on the tire when engaged, and not cramp down so hard that it deforms the tire needlessly.

If indeed they are pneumatic, you can adjust those spokes and straighten out the rim.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Those tires look like a pneumatic bike tire .... The drive cog being brought into the tire should be adjustable and made to just put slight pressure on the tire when engaged, and not cramp down so hard that it deforms the tire needlessly.

If indeed they are pneumatic, you can adjust those spokes and straighten out the rim.
The tire is pneumatic. Seems wheels are the correct look, but replacements at some time. Made in China. Spokes do not have any adjustment nut or sleeve of whatever its called like on typical bike rim spoke so I'm going to can them .Bearings shot anyway. And curiously the swinging drive mechanism seems to be hard fixed outside of its pivoting action. The belt can be adjusted by sliding the whole carrier but all moving parts move as one. They seem to have relied upon the soft air filled tire for dampening tension. Doesn't sound right, I agree. A crack it the frame adds slop to this all, and is probably a result of the rigid mechanism. This is why neve- flats really trouble me should they offer no compression. I can add a tensioning spring and turnbuckle to the handle rod ala blower designs. I'll attach some pictures. I'm no expert that's for darn sure. Appreciate all the insight offered.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Darby
Nice pictures. Were you perhaps able to contact Sarlow to inquire about parts? Appears as though they ceased production.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darby
Nice pictures. Were you perhaps able to contact Sarlow to inquire about parts? Appears as though they ceased production.
There is a website but my model number comes up empty. So wheels coming from Lapp out of PA .I'm learning what the old salts here know well, completely disassemble, clean, and inspect all things before rushing to get it back in use.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Lapp out of PA
Lapp Wheels and Wagons Ephrata, PA about an hour + south of me. Been around for years. Have a Lapp Structure shed, PA Dutch/Amish origin name. Visited the shed plant before purchasing only a couple of cars in the lot. Employee lot was filled/w black bicycles with wire baskets on front. Took a tour, nicest, hard working top notch craftsman you'd ever want to meet.
Never did a restoration, I'd agree looking through the forum at various projects, time and patience will reward you in the long run. Look forward to seeing the progress.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have removed the drive assembly and am inspecting and cleaning. The two shaft bearing are good as are the two in the cog pulley so that's good. The bolt that holds the cog/pulley is worn so that must have been spinning sometime in the past, which shouldn't happen , so something is up with that. I guess next task is to remove engine from frame so the frame crack can be re-welded. Some pictures because, well, we like pictures.
Motor vehicle Font Bumper Gas Electric blue
Crankset Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Rim
Line Cylinder Material property Electrical wiring Gas

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
This is going to be an interesting project to follow, take your time and enjoy process.
There sure isn't much info on the interweb on these machines. I looked for a manual but no luck.
Did your machine come with a manual Darby?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is going to be an interesting project to follow, take your time and enjoy process.
There sure isn't much info on the interweb on these machines. I looked for a manual but no luck.
Did your machine come with a manual Darby?
No manual, but the price was right. Thank goodness its just a mower. Does not have a flux capacitor :p I'm no Doc Brown.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts