Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Smp 860, Arns 22k, 924026, Pwrlite
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Here's an interesting series of documents from 1982 about NOT certifying the Sarlo 416 & 416SP as consumer products...
Very interesting indeed. Super find. Thanks Tabora. FWIW my mower is labelled "commercial" and it is powered by a 5 hp briggs. Poking around the web I have seen no pictures of a unit with that label. Rather in that spot the say "Self Propelled " These behind the scenes letters cast light on that. The blade on mine measures 20 inches, 16
inch wheels, and it does has the"dead man" handle(y). Letters show one off made to order spec units were sold.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
That's interesting... My understanding was that the 416SP was 4HP, 16" wheels, Self Propelled.
Ya, from the reading you provided, it would seem so. So maybe my machine was a requested build from a landscraper, or farm, etc. Paper did state they built to order, just up-motored a 416 chassis?? Does say commercial. One other thing different on mine that I don't see on others from google image search is the drive uses a bale (or whatever you call it) at the handle bars, not a lever. Anyway, its all fun. Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got the engine off today. If I continue to spend one hour a week on this it will be ready by fall. :p The engine sits on a cradle that is the part cracked, so that comes off for welding. The cradle is bolted in through slotted holes so the whole engine slides to provide for blade belt tension adjustment. A few boring pics below.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Engineering Nut

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Automotive wheel system
Motor vehicle Gas Machine Cylinder Nut

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
@Darby
Don't think pics are boring at all. Crack makes me wonder if it came from abuse vs normal use. That should be easily fixable. So what if it takes till fall/next year? Enjoy...
right? there is a new crack extending from a old repair at a place which supports the wheel drive mechanism. I think those egg shaped wheels put an undo stress on it. Engine bolts were not tight either and one is clearly worn as well. A clattering collection of contiguous junk! Like the Tin Man in Oz.
Wood Gas Screw Household hardware Auto part

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I got the engine off today. If I continue to spend one hour a week on this it will be ready by fall. :p The engine sits on a cradle that is the part cracked, so that comes off for welding. The cradle is bolted in through slotted holes so the whole engine slides to provide for blade belt tension adjustment. A few boring pics below.
View attachment 193497 View attachment 193500
View attachment 193499 View attachment 193498
Not boring at all, love these type of threads, especially on a machine I have never seen before or will probably never see again.
That Briggs engine is sweet.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did receive them and they are nice, and sturdy. However, they are a tad smaller than old ones, and the tire is much harder than i hoped. I wished they were foam filled and emulated pneumatic as the drive cogs press against the tires to turn them. Im sure i can find adjustmennt for the size difference, and i will add a spring in the drive lever linkage to make it more compliant. Looking forward welding crack next. Baby steps. I had to put it on back burner.

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
767 Posts
I’ve been lurking in this one, any update pix? I believe you can’t post too many pix, it’s easy enough to just scroll past them if you want, but I love checking out the details. Looking great soo far.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I got back up to cabin in the woods, were mower is. I took a try at welding that crack and it came out abysmally. :oops: So bad, no pics ! Its like a number of tacks, not any kind of bead. But appear to have some penetration and will suffice. 1st time welding. 1st use of cheap hf 110v welder. Practice makes perfect they say.
I scruffed up the deck and primed it with rattle can. So some progress. Daily debilitating pain in my world so even a small effort is, well, excruciating. 🤪 life is grand.
If the red-ish finish coat looks ok from a 20 foot stand off, I'll post those.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
No one is going to lay down a nice bead of weld on their first, second or probably third attempt.
Give yourself a pat on the back for tackling the project and working through your pain.
Looking forward to some pics.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Reactions: Darby
21 - 40 of 60 Posts