Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Haha. Yes flames. maybe tail fins or side pipes. I didnt paint underside. Now tho ive got the "hood" to consider. Mask off the flag? Probably.
The underside will rot out quicker then the top, I would have painted the underside too while painting the top.
They sell some nice vinyl decals, I use a seller on e bay for mine. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your Sarlo mower is a lot like my Yazoo Master Mower H-66 (8 HP 26 inch deck). The belt-driven blade protects the engine crankshaft from damage caused by sudden blade stoppage. Friction self-propel (FSP) incorporates a ratcheting mechanism to provide for differential wheel rotation speeds when making sharp turns. The part most likely to wear out in the FSP system are the steel friction wheels and NOT the rubber tires they rub against!

Not sure if your engine PTO includes a centrifugal clutch. Mine does and the clutch disengages at engine idle speed. The blade then eventually stops spinning as its Teledyne Wisconsin engine settles into a low RPM idle.

I imagine you can mow down some pretty heavy undergrowth with a Sarlo mower.

The non-compliant status is granted by CPSC to commercial walk-behind mowers that are not marketed toward consumers. As such, there are no operator presence controls, no blade brake, etc. I also have a smaller Yazoo S-20 mower (4 HP 20 inch deck) that is compliant. It has a blade brake mechanism with a spring-loaded trip lever arrangement incorporated into its left hand grip. If the trip lever is released then the blade brake engages the engine flywheel to quickly arrest engine rotation.

It's interesting to me that back in the early sixties, Yazoo (and likely Sarlo) referred to groundskeepers as "turfmen". It's a job title lost to history.

Yazoo Turfmen Ad

Attachments

·
Registered
Smp 860, Arns 22k, 924026, Pwrlite
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
The underside will rot out quicker then the top, I would have painted the underside too while painting the top.
They sell some nice vinyl decals, I use a seller on e bay for mine. :)
Ok Ed, You shamed me int it, I'll paint the underside ! :p And I suppse it is best to paint the whole hood panel and apply some similar flag decal afterwards Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Your Sarlo mower is a lot like my Yazoo Master Mower H-66 (8 HP 26 inch deck). The belt-driven blade protects the engine crankshaft from damage caused by sudden blade stoppage. Friction self-propel (FSP) incorporates a ratcheting mechanism to provide for differential wheel rotation speeds when making sharp turns. The part most likely to wear out in the FSP system are the steel friction wheels and NOT the rubber tires they rub against!

Not sure if your engine PTO includes a centrifugal clutch. Mine does and the clutch disengages at engine idle speed. The blade then eventually stops spinning as its Teledyne Wisconsin engine settles into a low RPM idle.

I imagine you can mow down some pretty heavy undergrowth with a Sarlo mower.

The non-compliant status is granted by CPSC to commercial walk-behind mowers that are not marketed toward consumers. As such, there are no operator presence controls, no blade brake, etc. I also have a smaller Yazoo S-20 mower (4 HP 20 inch deck) that is compliant. It has a blade brake mechanism with a spring-loaded trip lever arrangement incorporated into its left hand grip. If the trip lever is released then the blade brake engages the engine flywheel to quickly arrest engine rotation.

It's interesting to me that back in the early sixties, Yazoo (and likely Sarlo) referred to groundskeepers as "turfmen". It's a job title lost to history.

Yazoo Turfmen Ad
Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I've heard of the Yazoo but not seen one. Sarlo has no clutch, no blade brake, no safety devices other than deadman ignition kill on handle. True as you say, the metal drive cogs wear, I see it on mine. They do ratchet. I'm concerned with my drive as new tires are solid not pneumatic. I will spring load the engagement when I put it back together to soften that.
PS Brad, have you heard the old BMW joke?
"What's the difference between a BMW and a rose bush ?"... :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Darby, quit being so humble, the machine came out great, nice job.

I also would have left the original finish on the engine, it's in great condition and original paint will always wear better than a respray.
Neat machine, how is it to operate?
Better performance than a conventional mower?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Fantastic!!!
How did you clean and polish chrome?
How did you rig the different diameter wheel to the drive mechanism?
Treat yourself to another Moxie!

• Haha
Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
It is one heavy mower ! That said it rolls freely and feels balanced. It runs and drive good on the driveway. In this spot there is not too much lawn. Most of it is forest floor like the picture. (Our deer viewing portal) Both on a slope.
Shortly I'll try it out and report. I kinda hate to push back at the woods, so pretty and calming. Thanks all for the kind words and support. Oh, coke and tinfoil on the chrome. :)
Plant Window Wood Shade Door

·
Registered
669 Posts
Oh....you snort 🤣 Never heard of that combo....doesn't Moxie work better since it's "hard stuff"?

• Haha
Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
767 Posts
I got the Sarlo back together. Its alive !
Not a good job, but it was fun. I left the engine untouched for its patina, and kept the old decals on for ease.
View attachment 194487 View attachment 194488 View attachment 194489
Not a good job? I wish all my "not good jobs" looked that good.
Hell of a job on that, looks great. Now go beat the heck out of it using it in the yard. Or am I the only one that restores things and then destroys them...?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts