Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
hmmm...wonder what's hiding behind that starter:

^ definitely a broken connecting rod...but the block is definitely salvageable.

oil level wasn't too low...it does have the consistency of 30w though.

I guess it's also possible that the linkage was binding-up.

:icon-shrug:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dismantling the engine

Pre-safety module era:

something not quite right with this scraper bar...I could be wrong but I believe it's installed incorrectly (hence the excessively tall skid setting)

Yay! Wheels aren't frozen to the axles!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
and there's your broken connecting rod.

...and a sheared flywheel key:

The crankshaft, piston & cylinder are in great shape!

shortlist of things to do:
  • measure ring-gap & bore
  • clean-up the crank with some emery cloth
  • install new oil seals
  • rebuild the carb
  • valve job
  • new head gasket
  • new fuel line
Everything on this machine is original...I'd like to keep it that way! :cool:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I think I'll try and save this one Gusto. It's old but I don't think there are a ton of hours on it.
It's worth a try to see if it can be repaired. Clean up the crank and get a new connectiong rod and braze the crankcase shut and if it is still a total loss then you can always repower it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
pretty good shape for a 1981, even the paint looks good, maybe wasn't ever in salt, definite candidate for unrestored original condition equipment honors.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
pretty good shape for a 1981, even the paint looks good, maybe wasn't ever in salt, definite candidate for unrestored original condition equipment honors.
No doubt!

My understanding is that she spent her entire 37 years on 1 property.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Regarding the cutter bar; I think that's one of the pivoting Toro special features. Hard to tell from the pics though. Yours might be binding.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have two more buckets and a tractor for a 524 i can give you if you want more parts
Thanks Man! Everything on the tractor is in really good shape. I'll treat the rust on the handlebars & spot-treat the surface body rust.

Regarding the cutter bar; I think that's one of the pivoting Toro special features. Hard to tell from the pics though. Yours might be binding.
It actually pivots properly... the bucket needs to sit higher than my Toro 824 to provide clearance. It might be missing the spacer that pulls-up the scraper up a bit. We'll see; I'm focused on the engine at the moment.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ClassicCat..I just repaired an 8 hp Tecumseh with JB Weld that was a little worse than yours....three light coats.
Thanks cranman!

I was thinking of using JBWELD from the beginning...then Gusto mentioned the brazing rods so I'm looking into that as well.

I use JB for filling top-side holes on aluminum boats...and it sticks to Al surprisingly well if you prep it right.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
That scraper might be on there backwards. just tossing that out there. I never really mess with that size machine. anyhoo MAZEL TOV there BROTHER CC. IF the wife has any gripes about that 1 coming home with you. just tell I told you to get it.:icon_whistling::wavetowel2::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That scraper might be on there backwards. just tossing that out there. I never really mess with that size machine. anyhoo MAZEL TOV there BROTHER CC. IF the wife has any gripes about that 1 coming home with you. just tell I told you to get it.:icon_whistling::wavetowel2::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:
when she pulled-in, she thought that I was summer-izing one of my blowers... unfortunately she tells me this AFTER I've already fallen on the sword! :smiley-confused009:

·
Registered
270 Posts
when she pulled-in, she thought that I was summer-izing one of my blowers... unfortunately she tells me this AFTER I've already fallen on the sword! :smiley-confused009:
Silence is golden around women, let them do the talking and you'll see which way the wind blows 9 out of 10 times! Prevents the dreaded foot in mouth disease.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I picked-up some JB-Weld High-heat in a stick form.

I didn't want to play chicken with the working time...so no step-by-step photos of it being worked :cool:

Embedded the patch in some JB High-heat & bucked a pair of 3/16" solid rivets:

^^ I'll fill that outside crack later.

I used the pieces of the connecting rod & crank to verify the fit:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts