Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sno-Thro followed me home. I believe it's 1963 vintage. It has ratcheting wheel hubs, a fully supported auger gearbox, 4-10M Sno-Rotor Shields, tire chains and 3-10M Slicer Bar. The handlebar banner is steel which doesn't fracture like the aluminum unit on 10,000 Series machines.

The former owner had a new auger gearbox installed. It appears to have been re-powered with a 5 HP Tecumseh. I have a few 10,000 Series Sno-Thro machines powered with a 6 or 7 HP Tecumseh Snow-King in the correct livery for use as a donor to restore its classic "Creamsicle" appearance.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Very nice addition to your stable. Amazing how many of these first series are still around, snow blowers were not that common back then.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I have one of those .... Your going to love it ..... I have XTrac on mine, and a Predator 212.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

This thread explains it a little better:

Educate Me: Early Ariens Ratchet wheel kit and Differential Lock Knob | Snowblower Forum

Interesting video on it:

Early Ariens Sno-Thro's & Ratchet Drive System - YouTube

Probably more on it if you looked a little farther.

This is the best drive turn system I have experienced. Although, I cant wait to try out the new Zero Turn Cub Cadet I just added to my lineup this season, but even that you have to press an under handle tab with your finger, which is no biggie, but this older Ariens system is all automatic. They really should have followed through more with it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This Sno-Thro followed me home. I believe it's 1963 vintage. It has ratcheting wheel hubs, a fully supported auger gearbox, 4-10M Sno-Rotor Shields, tire chains and 3-10M Slicer Bar. The handlebar banner is steel which doesn't fracture like the aluminum unit on 10,000 Series machines.

The former owner had a new auger gearbox installed. It appears to have been re-powered with a 5 HP Tecumseh. I have a few 10,000 Series Sno-Thro machines powered with a 6 or 7 HP Tecumseh Snow-King in the correct livery for use as a donor to restore its classic "Creamsicle" appearance.
i've got several recent threads regarding this machine. take a look!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No updates. I started working on an ST-524 that I picked up a week earlier (see thread elsewhere). The 10ML-60D is still in my pickup truck bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts