1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Boom!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think the exorbitantly high-priced repair costs contributes to the cheapening of new machines. No one is going to spend $1200 to repair a 20+ year old snowblower so they essentially give it away then go out and buy a cheap throw-away machine. Their logic is, if a repair shop is going to rape me on the cost to repair my snowblower then I might as well just buy a cheap throw-away machine. That way, if the time comes (and it will come) to repair my cheap throw-away machine then I will simply throw it away and get another cheap machine.

Manufacturers of high-quality machines will follow suit; gradually adopting the same throw-away machine strategy.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Amazes me even more how "rapey" some service facilities are!
It seems to be everywhere. On another forum I saw where a guy was quoted $7,000 to replace the catalytic converter in his car. Now, it is a pricey one, the part legitimately goes for $500-$600, but still that's absurd. I forget the make of car.

Some people simply have no honor or shame.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
really seems like the shop should have just been straight up with the customer and say they didn't want to work on their machine. there are many other people who would have fixed it for much less. i would respect a business for being honest more than i would for throwing out a astronomical number just to scare them into replacing the machine. had our furnace inspected this summer and had 1 company say it will likely need to be replaced soon. got a second opinion from another company that came and gave a quote to replace it and they said it would be fine and likely still good for a while but ended up getting this company to replace it anyways because at least it felt like they were being honest about. the new furnace is also suppose to be slightly more efficient which might be possible.

·
Registered
7,846 Posts
Yeah ... furnaces have a life span, and the newer ones are certainly more efficient, which is certainly crucial these days .... I was fortunate that I could dismantle my own boiler last year, give it a good cleaning and re-assemble it ... I would say I have at least another 10 years on it .... hopefully ...X ... :)

It also helps when I put in 3 smart thermostats a few years back ....

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Amazes me even more how "rapey" some service facilities are!
A customer came in on Friday with a laptop with a shattered display and asked for a quote to replace it. She seemed surprised by the price I gave her, then told me that the I.T. company that supported their enterprise had quoted more than double that amount. Yikes!

Reactions: KJSeller
1 - 20 of 32 Posts