Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i've been working on a few older blowers, and in each case the carriage bolt head is on top. however, also in each case the nuts and bolts are terribly worn down, some in such bad shape that i had to sawz-all them off. is it better to place the nuts on top with the washer, so they don't experience this issue? i realize it is best to maintain them regularly; nonetheless...

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
I would install them with the carriage bolt head on top as the factory did, they will lock into the square holes in the scraper bar.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You want the smooth carriage bolt in the bucket, as the factory intended.

If you are wearing through the nut, the scraper bar is long overdue to be flipped, or replaced altogether.

Make sure you use the proper size carriage bolt, as the nut should be roughly at the end of the thread. You can get them at any hardware store or online.

Make sure to keep the side skids adjusted properly ..... I use a wooden yard stick or wood paint stick.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
+1 on what oneacer described. If the nut is wearing, the scraper bar has been neglected.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on what oneacer described. If the nut is wearing, the scraper bar has been neglected.
yes, this is obvious and common sense. however, i have come into four blowers this spring, and all of them had badly worn bar and nut wear. not a big sample, but it takes a fair amount of use to wear those nuts and bolts down to the bar and fuse the metals together. that's why i asked the question. the carriage head is flat and rounded vs. the stub that the shaft/nut is. it may ride and wear better and keep the nut protected up top. the carriage bolt will set into the bar the same in each direction.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Exactly ..... The average person operating a snowblower does not take care of it properly .... Your four blowers with the extremely worn cutting edge is your proof of it ...... I see this, as well as other neglect on all the blowers that come my way ....

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Don't forget, improper height adjustment with the skid shoes, using 3 paint sticks across underneath, 1 paint stick high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts