Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for the front mounted snowblower for my 1974 JD model 140 H3. I'm located in Texas panhandle and all I'v found thus far are only up North. Anybody closer to me have one that is in decent shape or in need of little restoration for a reasonable cost..?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You can't t just wait a few days! ;>P
You will likely have to get one shipped I'm betting. Try scouring CL and see if somebody is willing to crate it. You can go to uship.com and have people bid on shipping it. I have sold a few that way that I get at auctions and whatnot. I think you can get it for $150 or so. You just need to have a way to unload it and load it of course......

OH - and by the way - you may want to re-think that. The transaxles on the 140 and 160's don't hold up well to blades or blowers. They are very prone to failures. It's the weakest link on that tractor. Those peerless trans' were not made for bumps and stops. They are not cheap to fix either...... I have done a few for guys that ran blades on them. The input gears break and then the shaft jumps up and down trashing the case too..... UGLY

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
You will likely have to get one shipped I'm betting. Try scouring CL and see if somebody is willing to crate it. You can go to uship.com and have people bid on shipping it. I have sold a few that way that I get at auctions and whatnot. I think you can get it for $150 or so. You just need to have a way to unload it and load it of course......

OH - and by the way - you may want to re-think that. The transaxles on the 140 and 160's don't hold up well to blades or blowers. They are very prone to failures. It's the weakest link on that tractor. Those peerless trans' were not made for bumps and stops. They are not cheap to fix either...... I have done a few for guys that ran blades on them. The input gears break and then the shaft jumps up and down trashing the case too..... UGLY
But you're not really working the tranny hard with a blower are you? I had a JD 332 with a Berco blower on it and I just drove slow and let it do it's thing.

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Gee, when I saw Texas, I thought you were kidding, but it looks like you get quite a bit of snow on average in the panhandle. Could a local JD dealer help you find one?

Average annual snowfall (1971-2000)
AnnualSnowfall.png

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
But you're not really working the tranny hard with a blower are you? I had a JD 332 with a Berco blower on it and I just drove slow and let it do it's thing.
It's the sudden stops when it hits something that does them in......

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

It thought it was the newer jd's that had that trouble not late 60's-70's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts