Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a Sears 28" Craftsmen with a 9HP Techumseh engine manufactured in 2006. Had it in recently for repair and had the carb cleaned and a leak around the carb sealed. Additionally, the engine was 'screaming' at full throttle so the governor was adjusted. I was told the valve cannot be adjusted. Anyway, It ran for 3 minutes and stopped. So, I'm thinking would a new carb help or is it time for scrap it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What 9hp Tecumseh, exactly? Do you have a model number for it?

Given the age, I'm guessing the engine is an overhead valve (OHV) engine. If that's true, the valve clearance should be adjustable, at least.

When you say it stopped, do you mean it just gradually stalled? Or did it stop suddenly with a bang? Sometimes an internal component can break apart catastrophically.

If you pull the starter cord, does it feel normal? Or does it pull really easily, with very little resistance? Or, alternately, does it only pull partway, and then hit a stop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me. The model # is LH318SA. The ripcord pulls normally and it sputtered a bit and then stopped running - no banging noise. To get it to run in first place, it was set to a notch below full choke versus the usual 'leanest' setting. I had it up earlier as it stopped running and I also heard a 'popping' noise that I read meant the possibility of the need for a valve job and the guy who worked on and looked at it shared that the valves could not be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Darn, ok, it's a flathead or L-head engine design, not the OHV design that I was hoping for.

To increase valve clearances on these, you have to grind the valve, it's not just a simple adjustment, like on an OHV. I removed the valve from mine to do it, which was awkward, as I didn't have the proper spring compressor tool.

Fortunately, *checking* the valve clearance is easy, to better understand the problem. You just need a set of feeler gauges, which are maybe $5 or so.

If the valve clearance is ok, that helps, that means hopefully you're primarily dealing primary with a carburetor issue. And those can be outright replaced for maybe $20.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The running for 3 minutes and stopped has me concerned. Did you try to start it? What happen?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for getting back to me and it took me a few minutes when it happened to look at the gas level and it was OK. The fuel was new in the tank. I tried to start it several times and no dice.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not trying to be funny, but is the gas on? Believe me I've done it, my neighbor's done it, most of the guys on here have done it.
Another thing to check if was recently worked on is any green wires hanging under the carb heater box. I've seen people not put them back correctly too loose or ham fisted them off, and shortly after they break at the connector. I would also take a known good sparkplug (like from your lawn mower or anything really) and unplug the boot, try the known good one in the boot grounded to head with a pull and verify you have a spark. Check the easy stuff first.
I've done it. When I was selling my dads recently. Showing the machine and it started, died, wouldn't start again, it was out of gas. God that was embarrassing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts