Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this snow blower with a 4 cycle Briggs engine, the carb was a little dirty not bad, cleaned it out and it started up and ran for about 5 mins then quit, I thought maybe not enough gas, so I added more. something again. I put in a brand new plug and no difference, I even tried a new coil and again no difference I need a little help, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You might check to see if you're getting enough fuel. Maybe the the fuel line has broken down internally and is restricting flow or something in the fuel tank restricting the flow out the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second the fuel line check, Over time the fuel line swells and reduces fuel flow. Time for new ones.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I figured I'd throw this into the mix as it wasn't mentioned. There may be an inline filter or possibly a built in screen in the gas tank just where the gas exits that has been covered with sediment not letting gas through. Another thing, there's no mention on what gas your trying to use but if it's old, don't expect much out of it since stale gas is basically whatever hasn't evaporated and what's left is shellac.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does it have a automatic choke? Sounds just like a problem I fixed recently on a B&S lawnmower engine. Started, ran for a few seconds, sputtered and then died. Replaced the automatic choke, located between the exhaust and head, made the adjustments in the instruction sheet and the engine ran like a champ. If it doesn't have a auto choke, you might have a clogged up vent on your gas cap? Did it run again for about 5 min after you removed the gas cap and added more gas? Try running it with the gas cap lose, about 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas. If it runs without stalling after 5 min you found the problem

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
You say the carb was a bit dirty. Did you remove the bowl and possibly the carb bowl not oriented back in the right spot limiting the float from dropping /not allowing enough gas passed the needle valve seat

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try the gas cap. If the cap vent is clogged, then a vacuum will be created, preventing fuel from getting to the carb.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i concur with gas cap, run without cap to test.
else a dirty or out of adjustment carb, to test put choke on to about 1/3 to 1/2 to see if it will stay running.
if that worked carb is running too lean so its either dirty (lots of small holes to clean, not much needed to plug them up) or fuel air mix needs to be adjusted.
or float bowl/needle valve not working correctly which if it cant keep up with fuel burning then bowl will run dry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did drain the tank and put in fresh gas, carb had just a very very small amount of sediment, and it has a manual choke When you hear it starting to die, I have tried turn the choke on and it still dies, even if i try pushing the primer bulb. I will check to make sure it is getting enough fuel through the fuel line and bowl is not stuck closed.. Thanks everyone for you help

·
Registered
871 Posts
I did drain the tank and put in fresh gas, carb had just a very very small amount of sediment, and it has a manual choke When you hear it starting to die, I have tried turn the choke on and it still dies, even if i try pushing the primer bulb. I will check to make sure it is getting enough fuel through the fuel line and bowl is not stuck closed.. Thanks everyone for you help
run without gas cap to test.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Vinny, I tried that too
when this happens to me i try everything that has been mentioned.

you already put in good gas so next thing is fuel delivery.

remove bowl , turn gas on and see if it flows. lift float up to see if it stops ( could be flooding out )
check choke function.

i also take the time to remove air box on a Honda , remove idle jet and spray carb cleaner/compressed air in all passages that can get to.

replace bowl back on correctly. excellent point that if on wrong would restrict float.

this usually takes care of 90% of the problems assuming you have proper gas flow. without gas flow then you have clogged/ bad fuel line or filter. sometimes i'll blow air or carb spray with straw up fuel line from carb and into carb from there. that has solved this problem in a couple cases.

please report back.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Just be careful with that air gun blowing out the various orifices. Not sure what you have there but the rubber seat for the needle valve can fly out of there without you ever knowing,, ask me how I know this and then you'll have a new issue on top of what you already don't know.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Vinny, I tried that too
if u think u cleaned carb good i would buy a cheap $20 carb clone to test, problem with that is when it would get delivered, i bought one because it was cheaper than buying carb parts seperately, its been working well for me but ymmv

did u check fuel lines/filter/shutoff valve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts