Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in the forum. I live in NE Ohio and am looking to purchase a user snow blower. The one I'm currently looking at is an Ariens 624E (model 920001 on the plate). It was built in 2007. The seller is asking $450.

The bit of research I've done indicates that Ariens is a good brand. I'm looking for opinions/feedback on the following:

1) Is this a dependable/decent model?

2) Is the asking price reasonable?

3) What should I be concerned about, if anything, regarding this particular model and or when buying a used snow blower in general?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
This is my first post in the forum. I live in NE Ohio and am looking to purchase a user snow blower. The one I'm currently looking at is an Ariens 624E (model 920001 on the plate). It was built in 2007. The seller is asking $450.

The bit of research I've done indicates that Ariens is a good brand. I'm looking for opinions/feedback on the following:

3) What should I be concerned about, if anything, regarding this particular model and or when buying a used snow blower in general?

Thank you.
Welcome, add a little more info.
Read this there is a list. You answered the where. :)

·
Premium GOT Member
8,707 Posts

Thank you.

I bit my tongue off.......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
  1. Where do you live? NE Ohio
  2. What elevation? 715'
  3. What is your annual snowfall? 51.2"
  4. What type of snowfall? wet? powder? both? which one is prevalent? Both. Can't say which is prevalent.
  5. How much area do you need to clean? Driveway is about 70 feet long, single car
  6. What is your surface? dirt , gravel , concrete, pavers, asphalt , wood , other? Concrete
  7. Is your surface flat? slightly sloped?, steep? other? Slightly sloped
  8. How old are you? 48
  9. Male / female? Male
  10. What is your budget? up to $600
  11. How good are you with a wrench? Not very
  12. New or used (or either)? Used

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its 14 years old, they dont make techumseh engines anymore, you are in a snow belt. Anybody in a snow belt I like to have them start at 8HP . Ariens is a top notch machine, but depending on service history, it likly needs some TLC to belts, wear items, etc.

Reactions: dr bob and harry398

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Can you post some photos of the machine?

I agree that an 8HP machine would be preferable and machines in the $450-$600 range may require some basic work (replace belts, carb issues, bushings, bearings).

You should be able to find a decent used Ariens, Toro or Simplicity for your budget.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Look for a nice low hour ariens deluxe 28...

some may agree with me, others like the older units.

I like the new units. cast iron gear box that is supported. dual auger belt set up. 14" impeller. fairly easy to service. the china honda clone engine pretty reliable,easy to service. nice chute assembly. decent light.

I personally own a deluxe 28 SHO and I got one for my brother who also lives in ohio, he drove out here to NJ to get it and spend a few days here.

the standard deluxe 28 is a good unit......Plenty of you tube vids show it blowing snow 50ft with ease. can find nice ones for 600--850.....new is 1400 plus tax now.

if you want a smaller machine, the deluxe 24

good luck with your plans.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but this one is outside of Youngstown, I would pick this up in a heartbeat if it was local to me, probably just needs a carb [very easy process].
But that's just me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt Automotive wheel system

Here are pictures available online of the snowblower.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. The ad states the oil was changed and the carb cleaned. Yes, those could be lies. It's easy to check the oil.

I am going to look at it tomorrow. I didn't discount the recommendation of 8HP minimum. I simply don't want to get out of what I'm willing to spend on a used machine. Yes, you get what you pay (for).

As the saying goes:

“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten”

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure where you are in Ohio, but this one is outside of Youngstown, I would pick this up in a heartbeat if it was local to me, probably just needs a carb [very easy process].
But that's just me.

Thank you for the information, Dave. Youngstown is farther than I'm willing to go.

·
Registered
502 Posts
View attachment 182748 View attachment 182749 View attachment 182750 View attachment 182751

Here are pictures available online of the snowblower.

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. The ad states the oil was changed and the carb cleaned. Yes, those could be lies. It's easy to check the oil.

I am going to look at it tomorrow. I didn't discount the recommendation of 8HP minimum. I simply don't want to get out of what I'm willing to spend on a used machine. Yes, you get what you pay (for).

As the saying goes:

“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten”
Not a bad machine, the pix don't show anything that would lead me to believe there are underlying issues. Pick it up, use it this winter, if it's too small or you don't like it than sell it next year for what you bought it for and get a different one.
Ariens is a good, solid brand that you can get parts for fairly easily, and as always, maintenance is important.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thank you for the information, Dave. Youngstown is farther than I'm willing to go.
If I didn't have to cross Pennsylvania to get there it would be at my house by now, the lights alone....
I digress. The Ariens you picked is a good choice, I am just drawn to the oddballs and lost causes of the small equipment world.
If you give us a city you are close to I am sure members would be happy to poke around and give you some ideas if the Ariens doesn't work out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for replying Dave. I am West of Cleveland.

I am not mechanically-inclined, hence my interest in this machine. I am taking my brother who is a mechanic by trade.

A few years ago I had a single-stage snow blower given to me for free. That was a classic example of you get what you pay (for).

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks again for replying Dave. I am West of Cleveland.

I am not mechanically-inclined, hence my interest in this machine. I am taking my brother who is a mechanic by trade.

A few years ago I had a single-stage snow blower given to me for free. That was a classic example of you get what you pay (for).
Fair enough and understood. I think that Ariens will work well for you. Read the manual [especially regarding oiling/greasing] and learn the wear points [belts]. Since you will get it when it runs well [hopefully] after use you should be able to tell when it's not right, then shoot us a note here on the forum with some details [and pix, we love pix] and I bet someone here can walk you through the repair. Most issues are fairly simple and relative [something breaks], they're simple machines after all.
Again, good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Take a good look when you go. It's been repainted, or at least the bucket and chute. Ariens doesn't paint their bolts and nuts and they typically paint the tractor the same color as the bucket:). The skids are chopped in half and remounted. Not a big deal if the engine runs fine and everything works correctly, but it looks like a flipper machine to me.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
The Ariens looks to be in decent shape. I believe the bucket/chute may have been repainted (the painted hardware on the side of bucket and slightly different shade of bucket and tractor, but it could just be the lighting?).
I would check it out closely.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
But that's just me.
I understand why you would be tempted, that Craftsman is in mint condition. Those vintage craftsman with the dual headlights especially the double auger Drift Breakers are very cool.
Probably not the right machine for someone who doesn't want to work on their machines though.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Take a good look when you go. It's been repainted, or at least the bucket and chute. Ariens doesn't paint their bolts and nuts and they typically paint the tractor the same color as the bucket:). The skids are chopped in half and remounted. Not a big deal if the engine runs fine and everything works correctly, but it looks like a flipper machine to me.

Ha Ha , I guess we saw the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again to everyone for the replies and information. I would've never noticed the repainting. I have started the video on what to look for when purchasing a snow blower. Very, very informative.

Regarding the Craftsman, Youngstown is a bit of a haul. Additionally, I feel the width (i.e. 32") and the horsepower would be much more than I need.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes, repainting could indicate Heavy use, or left outside rust, etc. I dont like no headlight, or heated grips. I do a lot of early Am cleanup, or after work at night, and both are mandatory in my book.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts