Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mistakenly added too much oil to my Cub Cadet 2018 2X 26’ snowblower. After a bit of research, I found out that there is an anti-siezed fluid that can be use to clean out the oil in the engine which has reached the spark plug. I’m hoping but not wishing that anyone had this issue and knows what fluid that can be used and maybe give some tips on how to get this fix started.

quick issue details: after over flowing the engine with oil, the engine won’t start even after removing the excess oil. Noticed after cleaning the spark plug, and try to crank start the snowblower, the spark plug becomes again covered with oil, hence the engine won’t start. I hoping no greater damage is done to the engine as it has not fully started since I messed up.

Thank you all in advanced.

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
I mistakenly added too much oil to my Cub Cadet 2018 2X 26’ snowblower. After a bit of research, I found out that there is an anti-siezed fluid that can be use to clean out the oil in the engine which has reached the spark plug. I’m hoping but not wishing that anyone had this issue and knows what fluid that can be used and maybe give some tips on how to get this fix started.

quick issue details: after over flowing the engine with oil, the engine won’t start even after removing the excess oil. Noticed after cleaning the spark plug, and try to crank start the snowblower, the spark plug becomes again covered with oil, hence the engine won’t start. I hoping no greater damage is done to the engine as it has not fully started since I messed up.

Thank you all in advanced.
The engine is hydrolocked as it is called. You will have to drain oil, pull plug , remove muffler and pull starter cord a bunch to force oil out of the cylinder and exhaust port.

I just had the same issue with a Honda HS928 that had water and gas in the crankcase. In my case I had to flush the crankcase out twice due to the water/gas contamination.

The main thing is making sure you get all the oil out of the cylinder. You can use a flashlight in the spark plug hole and pull the starter until the piston is at top to see.

Patience is the key here. It took me 2 days to do mine correctly. Make sure no more oil is spouting out from spark plug hole and exhaust port when pulling starter cord.

Then add correct amount of oil to crankcase, clean and dry plug , install plug and make sure the engine pulls over.

Then turn key on and try. Don't be discouraged if this takes time. If you don't get all the oil out of the cylinder top you'll know because it will be hard to pull over and your plug will get covered in oil again.

· Registered
434 Posts
Will the engine turn over with the spark plug installed? If yes then you have to remove some of the residual oil out of the combustion chamber. If no then do not force it to turn over.

The spark plug cannot have any wet oil on the center electrode's insulator because that defeats the spark. Clean away as much as you can and use a cigarette lighter to burn away what oil remains on the plug tip.

I've never had to remove oil from the engine's combustion chamber. I would think you could tip the machine to point the exhaust port down then spray some kind of carb cleaner into the spark plug hole (in different directions) and turn over the engine.

I'd love to see a video of the engine when it's first re-started! 😁 😁

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
Will the engine turn over with the spark plug installed? If yes then you have to remove some of the residual oil out of the combustion chamber. If no then do not force it to turn over.

The spark plug cannot have any wet oil on the center electrode's insulator because that defeats the spark. Clean away as much as you can and use a cigarette lighter to burn away what oil remains on the plug tip.

I've never had to remove oil from the engine's combustion chamber. I would think you could tip the machine to point the exhaust port down then spray some kind of carb cleaner into the spark plug hole (in different directions) and turn over the engine.

ya, it should start if everything is done right. It will smoke for a while. In my case there was oil in the muffler so it smoked for quite awhile until all the oil was burned out of it.

· Registered
865 Posts
If it was mine I'd try just removing the spark plug and spin the engine a few times with the electric starter (if it has one, and five seconds only at a time). Let it (the starter motor) cool down for a full minute between tries). You should get some oil spraying out of the spark plug hole so have a rag ready to absorb that. If it doesn't have an electric starter then of course use the rope. Do not try to force it if hydrolocked - liquids do not compress and forcing it will only break something expensive.

Clean the spark plug as others have described and try to start it. The engine will smoke a lot and keep smoking for a few minutes as the oil in the cylinder and the muffler burns off.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All your comments are definitely appreciated and helpful. So far, I‘ve been a bit busy and have not done much with my snowblower. We’ve lucky in the north east (NJ) and have not had snow so far.

Recently, I just completely emptied the oil from the engine and left it draining for two days with the oil plug off. I also emptied the gas tank to have the carburetor inspected and cleaned if need to.

I was told by the owner of a snowblower repair shop that I should make sure that the carburetor is free from oil as it may have reach there too. So with your comments and suggestion. I think I have plenty of things to look out for this weekend coming up.

I’ll definitely do my best to keep you on the loop and even show a quick clip when it “hopefully” starts.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No, the engine does not turn over at all. Will try to video take the engine starting.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How did you do it? That info might help others to not do that. There are plenty of good videos on YouTube to learn almost any mechanical procedure. ;)
So my mistake was to trust buying the oil directly from Cub Cadet And not taking the time to read. Cub Cadet sells the oil and it comes on pouch/plastic bag. Based on how the bag looks, it seems that it’s already measured (specially since I search for the specific snowblower model I own). Also, I did not take the time to look for the manufacture’s manual And read for a bit. I could have just googled and probably had found the answer in a few minutes. I’m actually confident doing my own car oil changes my self but this time I rushed thru and didn’t think it thru. And now I’m paying for it…

· Premium GOT Member
10,961 Posts
So my mistake was to trust buying the oil directly from Cub Cadet And not taking the time to read. Cub Cadet sells the oil and it comes on pouch/plastic bag. Based on how the bag looks, it seems that it’s already measured (specially since I search for the specific snowblower model I own). Also, I did not take the time to look for the manufacture’s manual And read for a bit. I could have just googled and probably had found the answer in a few minutes. I’m actually confident doing my own car oil changes my self but this time I rushed thru and didn’t think it thru. And now I’m paying for it…
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I have confidence you'll get this going again. You did not kill it.

· Registered
865 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts