Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that most of the current 2 stage blowers have serrated augers.
Is this probably to assist with chewing up the EOD chunks of ice and packed snow?
My old 2 stage doesn't have serrated augers, but it does have an inverted "V" along side the auger blades(?).

Could I make some serrations in my old augers?
Is the size and speed of the augers likely to cause a balance/vibration problem? It's highly unlikely that any serrations I cut into my old augers will be uniform enough to keep things balanced.

Another one of my goofy ideas that I probably should just forget. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey CharlesW, I'm HDNewf from The Home Depot out of Chicago.
My thinking on the augers is that they move quite slowly, and thus an out of balance condition won't matter. Once packed with snow, the augers are often running "out of balance".
I also don't think that cutting serrations in them will be worthwhile. The augers are not meant to chop up ice, but merely to direct it into the impeller housing. They may help with cutting into the top layer of crusty/icy snow, but the scraper and sides will do this anyway. Seems like a lot of time and effort for little gain.

HDNewf

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey CharlesW, I'm HDNewf from The Home Depot out of Chicago.
My thinking on the augers is that they move quite slowly, and thus an out of balance condition won't matter. Once packed with snow, the augers are often running "out of balance".
I also don't think that cutting serrations in them will be worthwhile. The augers are not meant to chop up ice, but merely to direct it into the impeller housing. They may help with cutting into the top layer of crusty/icy snow, but the scraper and sides will do this anyway. Seems like a lot of time and effort for little gain.

HDNewf
Thanks for the reply.

Two things in my original post that pretty well cover things.

1. My old 2 stage doesn't have serrated augers, but it does have an inverted "V" along side the auger blades(?).
Those probably do what I was thinking about achieving.

2. Another one of my goofy ideas that I probably should just forget.
And that sums it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts