Snowblower Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
When I did that unit I didnt realize that #4 was a serviceable item, since that I have seen many with that bush being worn to a point where the counter shaft would start wearing the inside of the opening.

So yes, you are right, please do inspect that bush and change it.

If I come across a unit where the hole has been worn I now carve out the inside of the opening and put a needle bearing in there, more permanent solution to the issue.

·
Registered
Honda HR 928 TA Snowblower
26 Posts
This is a snapshot of my side cover plate showing the notch where the new bush (#4) should go. I think you're correct that over time (16 yrs) the countershaft has worn the notch. Should the new bushing fit snugly in the hole? What is a needle bearing? I'm going to send another Pic of my newly installed gear caseing, ready to be bolted on to the cover plate, IF, i can get this countershaft/bush resolvedo_O

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a snapshot of my side cover plate showing the notch where the new bush (#4) should go. I think you're correct that over time (16 yrs) the countershaft has worn the notch. Should the new bushing fit snugly in the hole? What is a needle bearing? I'm going to send another Pic of my newly installed gear caseing, ready to be bolted on to the cover plate, IF, i can get this countershaft/bush resolvedo_O
new gears, countershaft and bearings. Enough grease packed un there?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
That bush should slide in with ease, its not press fitted.

The needle bearing is for situations where the hole has been worn out, not necessary in your case if the bush fits in fine.

Another good measure to do is applying some permatex RTV around the opening of the input shaft thats going into the gear case and on the driveshaft itself once the machine is put together as you wont be able to slide in the input shaft from the HST if you apply the RTV beforehand. This will help against water/dirt getting into the gearcase.

The sealant is not there for any sort of structural support but more so for creating a seal against water etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks JnC. As one who admittedly isn't, at all, experienced in these kind of technical overhauls, you and orangputeh have been very informative and helpful. So, just to clear my fuzzy mind, once i carefully ream the notch enough to easily insert the Bushing, the end of the countershaft should slide in comfortably? About your tip on permatex RTV- applying it around the opening of the input shaft thats going into the gearcase? Is that where i now have all the grease in the case?. Not sure the exact location you refer to, as well as the driveshaft itself. Sorry to be so anal about this, but I want to get this right before u button it up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Thanks JnC. As one who admittedly isn't, at all, experienced in these kind of technical overhauls, you and orangputeh have been very informative and helpful. So, just to clear my fuzzy mind, once i carefully ream the notch enough to easily insert the Bushing, the end of the countershaft should slide in comfortably? About your tip on permatex RTV- applying it around the opening of the input shaft thats going into the gearcase? Is that where i now have all the grease in the case?. Not sure the exact location you refer to, as well as the driveshaft itself. Sorry to be so anal about this, but I want to get this right before u button it up. Thanks!
I dont see a reason to ream the notch to get it to fit. It does go in a certain way. It should fit in very tightly. I just clean very thoroughly , line it up, start in straight and then cover up with a thin piece of wood or maybe a socket that matches and LIGHTLY tap in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont see a reason to ream the notch to get it to fit. It does go in a certain way. It should fit in very tightly. I just clean very thoroughly , line it up, start in straight and then cover up with a thin piece of wood or maybe a socket that matches and LIGHTLY tap in.
Good advice. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good advice. Thanks
That bush should slide in with ease, its not press fitted.

The needle bearing is for situations where the hole has been worn out, not necessary in your case if the bush fits in fine.

Another good measure to do is applying some permatex RTV around the opening of the input shaft thats going into the gear case and on the driveshaft itself once the machine is put together as you wont be able to slide in the input shaft from the HST if you apply the RTV beforehand. This will help against water/dirt getting into the gearcase.

The sealant is not there for any sort of structural support but more so for creating a seal against water etc.
Does this Pic of Permatex RTV around the shaft opening depict your suggestion? With the exceptional step by step instruction on rebuilding the R side gear case, i think i'm ready to bolt it to the side panel. Do you have further instructions on reattachment to the blower? Reattaching the 2 springs keep me up at night thinking.
20201112_141905.jpg

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
You dont need to ream out the hole if you are using stock bushing.

The side of the casing you just showed with the RTV should have a rubber collar installed on it as well, unless you hadnt installed it before taking the picture.

I was talking about applying the rtv around the cavity thats between the gear case and the output and the HST input shafts. HST input shaft is not shown here as it wasnt put back yet. The idea is to cover that opening up, the RTV will stick to the gear case and the shafts, once you use the machine the RTV will split yet remain applied to the gear case and the shaft. Obviously it wont be a tight seal any more as its torn but it'd be enough to keep a decent amount of moisture/dirt from getting in the gear case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Putting the right transmission together (Track version) Post 4 of 4

install the small gear onto the middle shaft

install the small washer onto the gear

next, install the third gear, this one goes around the input shaft coming from the HST transmission, "Down" indication shows the side facing towards the HST shaft.

at this point I applied some RTV to the casing and lathered on some more grease

then goes on the gasket

ease on the cover/side chassis piece to the gear case, make sure everything sits in place, especially the plastic gear stay piece that you put on the chassis piece in the beginning. The grease would hold it in place when you flip the chassis piece over.

There are 6 nuts and bolts that hold everything in place, two of them have a built in collar.

line up all the holes

the nuts that go on the other side sit in place within the casing, you just have to hold them in the beginning before the bolt catches them

torque everything to 7.2lbs and you are done.

Non of the bearings are pressed in or anything, if a bearing is sticking and is not coming off then its cause of corrosion or oxidation. To get them off of the shaft I use a bearing puller, make sure to sand the rest of the shaft before trying the bearing puller as doing so will help take it off of the shaft easily.

For the bearings inside the gear case, I heat up the area around the bearing, use some Kroil and most of the time they pop right out.
Now that you've completed the first chapter of rebuilding the R-side transmission gear case we are all anxiously awaiting the second chapter- 'Reassembling the gear case to the HST and track drive". Sure to be a best seller in the world of Honda HS928 snowblowers. You, Orangputeh, Robert the Oracle and the other Pros, with your demonstrated expertise, are irreplaceable to this forum. Thanks much
You dont need to ream out the hole if you are using stock bushing.

The side of the casing you just showed with the RTV should have a rubber collar installed on it as well, unless you hadnt installed it before taking the picture.

I was talking about applying the rtv around the cavity thats between the gear case and the output and the HST input shafts. HST input shaft is not shown here as it wasnt put back yet. The idea is to cover that opening up, the RTV will stick to the gear case and the shafts, once you use the machine the RTV will split yet remain applied to the gear case and the shaft. Obviously it wont be a tight seal any more as its torn but it'd be enough to keep a decent amount of moisture/dirt from getting in the gear case.

View attachment 170235
Rubber collar? I don't have that part in the kit I received for the R-side transmission overhaul. My local Honda dealer said the numbered part doesn't show up on the Honda parts diagram. It does make sense though. I think i get what you mean regarding application of the RTV. The HST is still on the machine, so when I install the gear case into the HST spindle, i can apply the RTV between the cavity? Sorry I'm so dense about getting this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now that you've completed the first chapter of rebuilding the R-side transmission gear case we are all anxiously awaiting the second chapter- 'Reassembling the gear case to the HST and track drive". Sure to be a best seller in the world of Honda HS928 snowblowers. You, Orangputeh, Robert the Oracle and the other Pros, with your demonstrated expertise, are irreplaceable to this forum. Thanks much

Rubber collar? I don't have that part in the kit I received for the R-side transmission overhaul. My local Honda dealer said the numbered part doesn't show up on the Honda parts diagram. It does make sense though. I think i get what you mean regarding application of the RTV. The HST is still on the machine, so when I install the gear case into the HST spindle, i can apply the RTV between the cavity? Sorry I'm so dense about getting this.
My Bad JnC!! Nice catch on the missing rubber dust cover. ( See Pic) I located the part and installed it. I also scrapped off the excess and needless RTV. Ok?

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
you could also pump in so much dam grease that water can not enter. what JnC suggested is good. i havent tried that yet. but it makes sense. every gear box i open has water evidence most times.

·
Registered
26 Posts

you could also pump in so much dam grease that water can not enter. what JnC suggested is good. i havent tried that yet. but it makes sense. every gear box i open has water evidence most times.
Ok. As you will note by the most recent Pic of my HST i'm ready to mount the gear casing into the spindle and need to connect the two springs to the mounting brackets attached to the gear case. Looks to be a PITA to hook them up. Any experienced tips? Also, should i lather some grease on the spindle before inserting it?

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
View attachment 170247

Ok. As you will note by the most recent Pic of my HST i'm ready to mount the gear casing into the spindle and need to connect the two springs to the mounting brackets attached to the gear case. Looks to be a PITA to hook them up. Any experienced tips? Also, should i lather some grease on the spindle before inserting it?
i use a pick to reattach springs.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Reactions: orangputeh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Needle nose vise grips FTW.
Sorry, been a bit preoccupied with this virus kick. Back at it. Going to reattach springs to the gear case bracket, but bit nervous about which spring to which hole in bracket.

·
Premium Member
6,794 Posts
Sorry, been a bit preoccupied with this virus kick. Back at it. Going to reattach springs to the gear case bracket, but bit nervous about which spring to which hole in bracket.
this kind of repair really required having the shop manual. $47.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts