Snowblower Forum banner
121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Its not a press fit or anything, gear is probably corroded on the input shaft, try some penetrant and a bearing puller, you may need to use some heat as well.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
Its not a press fit or anything, gear is probably corroded on the input shaft, try some penetrant and a bearing puller, you may need to use some heat as well.
okay never have seen anything like this. the gear is free on splines.seems like some kind of cap. the pic is not too clear. and the upshot is i cant find this parts anywhere in diagrams.

not sure if this box has ever been opened before. if i get cap off taking it to dealer and showing to head mechanic there who has forgotten more about Hondas than I will ever know.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
okay never have seen anything like this. the gear is free on splines.seems like some kind of cap. the pic is not too clear. and the upshot is i cant find this parts anywhere in diagrams.

not sure if this box has ever been opened before. if i get cap off taking it to dealer and showing to head mechanic there who has forgotten more about Hondas than I will ever know.
It may be part of the shaft and just different from tracked model. the gear is free on splines and moves forward and back but stops at that end piece. That piece has some tiny ridges on inside if you look at pic. afraid to try puller and doing damage that is a show stopper.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·

If you look at the diagram you can see that the gear number 6 is a stand alone part. There is a spacer/washer number 10 and a retaining cap that goes into the side plate #3, same idea as you find in the tracked units, just smaller in size. The splines that are clean and letting the gear move about are usually the splines that are inside the gear. Even within the gear the contact part is only 80% of the inside of the gear as there is 20% part of the gear thats left unsplined (if thats a word).

The part that sits inside the cap (#3) usually corrodes as its not protected by anything so when water/moisture gets in there it rots it up pretty good and thats why the gear is not coming off. If you are afraid to damage it then use a wire brush to clean it up real good and wiggle the gear off of it, trust me you'll be fine. Even if you damage that part of the input shaft it wont hurt as that art does not engage into the splines, that later bit does though.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
View attachment 176367

If you look at the diagram you can see that the gear number 6 is a stand alone part. There is a spacer/washer number 10 and a retaining cap that goes into the side plate #3, same idea as you find in the tracked units, just smaller in size. The splines that are clean and letting the gear move about are usually the splines that are inside the gear. Even within the gear the contact part is only 80% of the inside of the gear as there is 20% part of the gear thats left unsplined (if thats a word).

The part that sits inside the cap (#3) usually corrodes as its not protected by anything so when water/moisture gets in there it rots it up pretty good and thats why the gear is not coming off. If you are afraid to damage it then use a wire brush to clean it up real good and wiggle the gear off of it, trust me you'll be fine. Even if you damage that part of the input shaft it wont hurt as that art does not engage into the splines, that later bit does though.
Thanks. This worked. Cleaning up end and attaching a puller to pull gear off. Did not take much. Was not familiar with a wheeled unit hydro shaft as it is different from tracked. So all good. Wish the tracked gearboxes were as simple as this.

probably did the whole job in less than an hour to half and a half total work time.

·
Premium Member
7,952 Posts
@JnC came across a first today.no drive situation. checked all the usual suspects but noticed the hydro shaft worked intermittantly with no track drive.
Suspected it was being held up by gearbox.

Removed gearbox and everything is okay , axle pin , gears , bushings , etc. ( grease is dry and cakey of course )

The hydro shaft when i put my hand on it and moving the drive pulley has little resistance. It will move but when I hold it , it won't . I can feel clicking on the inside.
I have never rebuilt one of these.so not sure what could be wrong.

Anyway , I have a couple of know good spare hydros so am just gonna switch out and service the right side tranny with a new drive axle/pin, main gear , etc , countershaft also.
Just to be on the safe side. It's a 928 with a 1130000 serial number so suspecting at least 15 years old or older.

I'm gonna sell this when done but want the owner to have basically a new RST.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts