Snowblower Forum banner

Servicing the right and hydrostatic transmission

122K views 177 replies 38 participants last post by  orangputeh 
#1 · (Edited)
Servicing the right and hydrostatic transmission (Pictures re-uploaded 10/28/18)

EDIT (10/29/2018): All the pictures were recovered and re-uploaded onto SBF site, enjoy.

This thread is for general discussion concerning the right transmission and the hydrostatic transmission found on most track/wheel assisted HS series snow blowers. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the right transmission might only be for the track assisted machines.

Current condition of the right/final gear transmission. While overhauling the blower I noticed the rubber seal, part#15 in the illustration below, had perished. I suspected it let dirt in the casing, which was later affirmed when I opened the case.

- Notice the contaminated grease.
- Bearings are fine.
- Can anyone point out what type of grease Honda has used in the gear case?

- I intend on replacing the grease.
- Change part #14
- Install new gasket, part #2.

Attachments

See less See more
#173 ·
When I was changing the wheels/tires this weekend, I noticed this "inspection port" on my right side gearbox. I can't help but think there probably was a cap or a plug or something over this hole when it was a little newer?
This is a WHEELED VERSION of the HS828. Seems like the tracked versions might be a little different?
Please school me on what this open hole through the engine bed and into the gearbox is for, and what covering it is supposed to have. My parts diagram makes it look like the case is closed on that side.
Should I put a plastic or rubber cap over to cover the hole?
On the gear case? or on the engine bed? or maybe both?
Does anything need to be removed? (right side gearbox)? or can I take care of this in frame.

I was intending on adding the grease fitting after I got the wheels changed, then pumping lots of grease in (just got a new grease gun and some Lucas Marine waterproof grease). But the old makeshift bolt didn't fit the new, smaller, 1-piece wheel. So the grease fitting got postponed.

#175 ·
Thanks. I don't see any p/n on my schematics for that rubber plug/cap.
I did see a youtube video and captured a screenshot. It looks like that machine had the cap in place. I'll have to search ebay for something that will fit.
I would think that it would be more important to have the gearbox sealed up than the frame/engine bed though...
plugging both seems like a good idea.

This is the wheeled machine pic I grabbed.