Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've found a 3 series snapper i724 for sale that has both sides of the cast iron gear case broken in pieces.

Whatever they hit, caused the impeller shaft to jump up and back, knocking out both corners of the top rear of the gear case housing. So basically it needs new gear case covers, gaskets, seals, etc, but I was wondering if there might be any other damage to the motor/impeller end tucked up there that I might be overlooking.

There is about 1 1/2-2" of front to back play of the impeller shaft with the gear case pieces hanging loose, but only about 1/4" or so of play if I hold the case together and rotate the impeller fan. Everything else seems operational, I can turn the impeller fan freely and as long as I'm holding the case together it rotates the auger at an appropriate looking fraction of the impeller rotation. When I engage the impeller drive with the engine running, it seems to turn the impeller properly.

I really want to buy the unit, but new replacement parts would cost more than I'd be paying for the whole blower and I don't want to throw good money after bad only to find the rest of the guts are bent or broken. (though obviously, if I am able to fix it, I'll have a good blower at a good price.)

Any suspected additional damage I should be looking out for considering the hard knock this unit suffered?

Thanks for any help or advice offered.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts