Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazon has a lot of reviews of Cub Cadets and many complain that they have broken many many shear pins, like it's a constant problem. Consumer reports rates Cub a little higher than Ariens but I want to choose the best one for complete ease of use and dependable durability (hope that's not asking too much). I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

Also that Ariens does not have hand warmers, any problems or loss of quality with installing them?

Comments, experience, advice appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

First off let me say I have no experience with Cub Cadet.
Secondly I can't remember the last time I broke a shear pin! My experience with owners telling me they broke shear pins has almost always been operator error. That is not to say Cub Cadet didn't have a run of less than adequate shear pins.
As to what snowblower is right for you I can only say two words, Toro and Ariens. Both brands offer many different machines and have an extensive dealer network that should make it easy to find people you can develop a rapport with. Before you visit write down a few requirements and information you need. How long is your driveway, other areas you want to clean, how steep is it, do you need tracks or wheels, hand warmers, an operator enclosure, etc.
Also while many on this site disregard the website "MovingSnow.com" as just being a sales website a few of us have found it useful.
If you're like me and want "something different" and don't care about the dealer network being thin in your area you go for a Husqvarna. The last couple of years they have made tremendous strides in quality and reliability but they're still not for everyone.
And lastly while you're shopping even if you don't want to spend mega $$$ you owe it to yourself to pay a visit to a Honda dealer and see how the other half lives! Awesome snowblowers!
:white^_^arial^_^0^_

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Amazon has a lot of reviews of Cub Cadets and many complain that they have broken many many shear pins, like it's a constant problem. Consumer reports rates Cub a little higher than Ariens but I want to choose the best one for complete ease of use and dependable durability (hope that's not asking too much). I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

Also that Ariens does not have hand warmers, any problems or loss of quality with installing them?

This is only MY humble opinion but consumer reports would be the LEAST reliable of my sources of review.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

:welcome: aboard!

I don't know how big your drive is but you may want to look at the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO as well. I am not sure if you meant the Deluxe 28 SHO, which is an excellent value but without the heated grips or Quick-Turn chute. If you need something bigger the Deluxe 30 (crank chute on the Deluxe series) is another good option it has a smaller engine but with enough power and you will also get your heated grips. The Ariens Platinum 30 SHO is also nice and has a 414cc engine (for a few hundred more you may want to consider a Pro 28). If you have obstacles like cars on your drive when blowing snow. I have realized that a smaller machine will actually get you done faster.

Regarding Consumer Reports, I have been a subscriber for many years. Their ratings often have a huge impact on the resale value of cars and influence their readers buying choices tremendously, they often offer excellent tips but I do not take their opinions as set in stone. I have lost some faith in them over the years. When they rate snow blowers they do not factor in customer support, actual reviews from owners who have been using their machines for years along with other crucial factors. Regarding the wet saw dust test doesn't bother me and I assume it is a close comparison to the white stuff in terms of consistency. I have seen photos of Ariens testing their blowers with saw dust during the off season.

I have owned snowblowers for many years (including a mid 90's MTD 640F that served me well for years) and I will tell you at this point that Ariens and MTD manufactured snow blowers are not in the same league, in terms of overall build quality, longevity and certainly customer support where Ariens is second to none, though Honda offers very good support as well. I am not saying that a Cub Cadet can't serve you well, just that the brands differ in many ways.

Best of luck on your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missing in the Cub Cadet conversation are two notable elements: First, the Cub Cadet box-store machines last year came with a poly chute whereas the dealer HD versions (also sold in the U.S. on-line direct from Cub Cadet) had wider-framed steel chutes. Folks who owned the box-store units of the BASE 3X units seemed to post about broken shear pins. This past season, I can't recall having read any feedback/comments on this site, Moving snow.com, or elsewhere about the 2015-2016 3X HD units, i.e., breaking shear pins. Having read the shear pin comments on the box-store units, I'm curious to hear from other 3X HD owners if they had problems with shear pins. My new 3X HD unit this February only saw action after a 4" storm and performed well, but this small storm hardly qualified as a real first test for me to offer a meaningful performance review. Secondly, Cub Cadet updated their 2016-2017 3X lineup to include a new Pro Series, a class above the HD units. The new Pro unit has a 14" auger and 14" impeller. In contrast, the HD units and box store units have 12" augers and 12" impellers. So with Cub Cadet's introduction of the Pro Series, I'm curious to learn over this next season if the shear pin problem from last season only pertained to the box store units. That's my hope as a HD owner.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
. I'm looking at either the 26" or 28" 3x Cub vs the 28" platinum Ariens....

What Ariens "Platinum 28" are you comparing to the Cub? Where do you see Ariens Platinum without hand warmers?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our local dealer carries Club Cadet, Ariens and Toro.

Initially, I was interested in the HD Club Cadets (hadn't yet seen the user reviews on Amazon). The dealer warned me that with every Club Cadet they sold, they provided a dozen free shear pins. He said they go through them like candy.

Here in western MA, we receive especially unpleasant snow - wet, heavy and lots of it. The EOD stuff is ultra-nasty - lots of ice. This is a tough environment for snowblowers. Hence, lots of shear pins. I can't think of many tasks less pleasant than replacing shear pins in the snow, in the dark, while trying to clear a driveway at 7:00 am.

Ultimately, the dealer convinced me to go with Ariens. In spite of the higher price, he said they sell 8 Ariens for every Club Cadet.

He also warned me that the "3X" design is great if you have lots of fluffy snow. But, if the snow is wet, the 3X configuration tends to push the snow in front, and doesn't clean well to the pavement.

I've never tried a 3X design, so these comments are all hearsay from my dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi all,
My first post here. I was tempted to start (yet) another thread on Cub Cadet shear pins but decided to tack on here with my issue in hopes it can add to the discussion.
I'm starting my second season with a CC 3x 30" HD purchased from a local dealer new. I have a 400', very clean, asphalt driveway. Upstate NY at 1000' elevation with enough wind to be considering a small wind turbine but that's another story. Point being, we get the snow with the wind and the drifts. For the past 10 years a Troy-Bilt Polar Blast served my needs pretty well although replacing burned belts before shear pins got tiring and I retired it after a heavy snow season 2013-2014.
What prompts me to write is that I keep shearing pins, but only one, the far left as you stand at the controls. Today we had the first blowable amount of snow, maximum 3 inches of fairly wet stuff, temps were in the mid 30's. Within the first 100' it sheared. And then again sometime shortly after. This is how it's been with this machine. Just yesterday before the snow I went over the driveway with a leaf blower knowing today would be a test, so I don't think there were sticks or anything that might've gotten sucked in. I'm mindful not to favor one side or the other. I run up and back the drive and can do a basic clearing in 2 trips.
Anyway, the machine is otherwise solid and runs reliably and if not for this PITA I'd recommend it. I'm open to suggestions (the local dealer kind of points his finger back at me and he knows my driveway), I really think a machine like this ought to do better in 3" of heavy snow. But right now I kinda regret the purchase.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Those are built by MTD and they throw slightly upgraded parts on them and stick a yellow paint job on it...... not the worst machine, but by old CC standards it's a shame...... I think you may be able to modify the shear pins and go with a heavier pin - but the point is you should rarely lose one under normal use. Just seems silly that they are so prone to it. I would guess it's due to the slop/play they have in them on start up adding a little fatigue to the bolt. I think if you find a way to reduce that slop you will have less problems. Also note that on some of hose they do have a specific way they fit in - there is sometimes a head with a thicker washer that goes in the bigger hole - the washer is supposed to take up the brunt of the force unless it starts to get wobbled out and gets to sloppy..... which brings you back to square 1 again...... it's still cheaper than shelling out the gears in the auger - so be careful about beefing it up to much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those are built by MTD and they throw slightly upgraded parts on them and stick a yellow paint job on it...... not the worst machine, but by old CC standards it's a shame...... I think you may be able to modify the shear pins and go with a heavier pin - but the point is you should rarely lose one under normal use. Just seems silly that they are so prone to it. I would guess it's due to the slop/play they have in them on start up adding a little fatigue to the bolt. I think if you find a way to reduce that slop you will have less problems. Also note that on some of hose they do have a specific way they fit in - there is sometimes a head with a thicker washer that goes in the bigger hole - the washer is supposed to take up the brunt of the force unless it starts to get wobbled out and gets to sloppy..... which brings you back to square 1 again...... it's still cheaper than shelling out the gears in the auger - so be careful about beefing it up to much.
My thought too. They do seem to have a lot of slop. The pins seem snug enough in the shaft but there's a lot of play in the auger itself. Each auger blade tip has about 1/2" rotational play and the pins I have are all constant diameter.
Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am a little late to the party....I had only one significant snowfall last year.....31.9 inches. No problem! Had if a few years and never broke anything. It is the dealer version with the steel chute. love it. I have a video somewhere on youtube....just search cub cadet 3x26hd and it should come up.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might be the pins

So after another couple sheared pins, I decided to break out a pack I'd gotten off the Amazon ("#1 Best Seller!") and low and behold I've now gone a couple hours without a breaking a pin, and I'm actually starting to like this thing.
To recap, I've been breaking pins in only one auger under very light conditions and I've been replacing it with pins my dealer sold me. I don't know what to attribute this to except there are differences in pins.

Guess I'm still too green here to post pics or links, but another thread here ("shear pins are shear pins... or are they?") shows a picture of two different pins. Unfortunately in that post he says the OEM one is exactly like the ones I seem to be having trouble with. The only difference I can see between the two kinds I have is the Amazon sourced ones have a very smooth shiny surface (while still gold colored) and the dealer supplied are as he has pictured, with a kind of brushed surface.

So if you're having shear pin issues that seem unreasonable, I'd suggest grabbing a pack of ASIN #B003113C1E.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Have a CC 3X, 42" blower in a CC XT2. Last weekend I broke the shaft that drives the gearbox to the augers. It broke at the shear-pine hole for the third-stage, accelerator blade, just before the blower impller assy. It was wet, heavy snow, maybe 6-7".
Not happy. I have 3yr std warr. plus I bought the 2yr ext. (2016). The shear pin did break, but why the drive-shaft?
Anyone experience this same problem?
Thanks!
Rich

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wonder if shear bolts wouldn't be better. My Snapper has shear bolts and there is a torque spec to them. My guess is the bolt holds the auger tight until it gets jammed and then slips cutting the bolt. I've never broken a bolt in the 13 years I've had it and I have hit icy EOD causing the auger to move the machine side to side (though I back off right away, it's happened more than once).

The pins would seem to be under constant load, especially the sudden load when the auger is engaged. Also I make it a habit to back the machine out with the auger engaged to clear out the bucket.

Maybe making sure the bucket is clear before engaging the auger will help, especially if the snow is heavier and gets packed up in the housing.

Couple of thoughts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
no issue with shear pins thus far.. i have a columbia branded MTD ( different color is all) my drive is about 300 feet long.. parking for 6 cars if you park em right( its been done once) means it takes me from 50 minutes ( yes your reading that correctly) to an hour and a half to clear anything from 3-10inches weve gotten so far since buying this machine.. there are 5 large trees lining the dirve which means branches! branches everywhres each time theres lots of wind.. which usually happens every storm.. anything over about a half inch diameter i try to pluck away if i spot em.. smaller i dont bother.. there has been a couple of branches closer to an inch thick i didnt see.. it made a god awefull noise.. but kept on chugging.. which prompted me to check to see wh at happens when the sheer pins are OUT... and everything moves as it should without sheer pins.. so back in they went, they werent bent ot marked or showing any signs of having been braught right at the limits.. so far... to whoever mentionned sheer pins usually get broken because of operator... YES!!! my previous machine.. i went thru at least a pair of sheer bolts a year ( last machine was a large frame 33in 10HP columbia, picture a large frame cub 2x in orange.. ) so im assuming ill go thru at least that this year too.. but so far so good.. snow weve had differes from light pouwer to heavy slushy goodness and even choping back the banks the plow left me after 2 days.. usually makes a machine dance a bit.. it cut thru a bit better.. still danced some.. and btw. i usually broke sheer bolts when i try to cut the banks back some in mid-late Jan when im hoping itl not be froze solid yet... so that little test still has to happen..

·
Registered
25 Posts
So far so good

I have only put about 4.5hrs on my new 3x30HD but i have gone through some pretty big ice chunks and have yet to shear a pin.

Ive also hit some sticks as well and it has chewed right through everything.

After seeing some of the large and thick ice sheets that fall off my metal roof, i wonder how people are breaking pins constantly.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts