Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get my snow bird running,starts first pull and runs smooth.Now I need to put a pin in the drive axle to allow for the wheels to turn. I have tried a shear pin I have but it is to big,any chance someone might know the correct size to fit it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi, couldn't find any shear pins that would fit at any snow blower shops. Bought brass bolts at Home Depot. I agree about getting the size using drill bits.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hi, couldn't find any shear pins that would fit at any snow blower shops. Bought brass bolts at Home Depot. I agree about getting the size using drill bits.
The manual should tell you the size and style of shear pin for your machine. Remember not to over tighten them which might bend the auger shaft in on the drive axle a bit and reduce the protection that shear pins provide. They usually have nyloc or some soft of locking nut on them so you don't have to worry about them falling off because they are not tight.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I managed to get my snow bird running,starts first pull and runs smooth.Now I need to put a pin in the drive axle to allow for the wheels to turn. I have tried a shear pin I have but it is to big,any chance someone might know the correct size to fit it?
Can you use the quick release Klick Pins?. straight pin, about 3/16" diameter and 2 inches long with a large steel loop on one end that snaps down around the axle to hold it in place. Makes for fast, and easy wheel removal, assuming the wheel isn't rusted onto the shaft.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts