Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some non-oem shear pins. Has anyone ever tested shear pins? Are they functionally the same and break with a similar amount of torque?

The white metal is the generic version, the coated version is MTD.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Having blown snow for over 20 years and never breaking a pin, I have no idea about aftermarket/OEM comparisons. I would imagine they'd be similar and perform the desired function.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I broke a few, tire chain,NY sunday times, etc. It is important to make sure any replacement shear bolts you buy have the shear cuts in the right places, there are different shaft, and auger sizes,and thicknesses. I learned the hard way, I elongated the holes on one of mu auger tubes, luckily no other damage.
Sid

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
I don't know :confused:
I try to get done as fast as I can so I take as much snow as I can as fast as I can. Same with the EOD pile with it's packed snow and chunks of whatever came off the road.
I have replaced a few of them lately but that's only on machines I've purchased that came with bolts in the augers when going through them.
I'm on 400' of gravel for almost 10 yrs and haven't broken a pin (yet).
I can't figure out why some people seem to break a lot of pins and others few or none and sometimes even with the same machine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
They look petty shearpiny to me.

One way to test, is to hide a 6 inch tall heavy duty plastic flower pot in 8 inches of snow. Then hit it with your snowblower. If the pin breaks, then it worked, If not, order a new gear case and contents.

My shear bolt worked ! :D Your results may vary. :redface:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a few spare packs after reading that they break very often and not replaced one in 3 seasons, guess I might just be lucky.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a few spare packs after reading that they break very often and not replaced one in 3 seasons, guess I might just be lucky.
If you are really feeling a need to replace shear pins, I have some simple advice for you that almost always gets you there: Lose track of your spares.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts