Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't wish to start an oil war debate but wanted to let folks know about Shell's rebate program. I've been using Shell Rotella T6 (blue jugs) in my diesel engines and Shell Rotella Gas Truck (red jugs) in my small engines. They are both full synthetic. The gas version I use is 5W-30.

The 5-quart Gas Truck version was about $22 at Walmart and there's a $10 rebate available at:
https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/10-back-by-mail.html#iframe=L2RpeS9PMTkwMy9mb3JtLmNmbQ

The rebate expires 6/30/2020 but they usually run a similar rebate for the second half of the year. You can get up to 4 rebates ($40).
No, I don't work for Shell but have been using their full synthetic oil for a long time with great results.

By the way, the Diesel T6 rebates are only valid if purchased from a "farm store" such as TSC (not Walmart). There's also a blue jug "multi-vehicle" T6 version (API-SN rated) but I've never shopped for it and not sure about rebates.

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Good to see others using Rotella Gas Truck.

I stocked up last month when it was on clearance nationally at Autozone for $2/qt, and Shell had a similar additional $2/qt rebate at the time. Autozone also had a $7 off $30 promo at the time too, so if the rebate comes in, I was essentially paid to take the oil from them.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I use 5W30 Full Synthetic …. I do not see the viscosity on this, but am going to Walmart later today anyways … will check out Shell Rotela Gas Truck Engine Oil.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! I have been using Mobil1 5W-20 in my RAV4. I see they sell a 5W-20 version of this as well. I have a few bottles of my current stuff still, but the price is tough to beat on this, may I'll have to try it. It's looking like the $22 is a normal price on Walmart's site, not a sale price.

FYI, there's a $2 rebate on individual quarts, if you want smaller amounts. Though it says limit 4 rebates, so if doing individual quarts, presumably you max out at $8-back.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 5W30 Full Synthetic …. I do not see the viscosity on this, but am going to Walmart later today anyways … will check out Shell Rotela Gas Truck Engine Oil.
It's available in 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30.
I also use 5W-30....good stuff.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I checked Auto Zone and they were out. I seen TSC has it for $18 for a 5 quart jug if you have one, going to pickup a couple jugs later this week, $8 for a 5qt jug is to hard to pass up.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I actually just went right by our TSC yesterday. That's what I get for not checking first. Guess I have another trip to make.

(Edit: Checked our local TSC ad on their site, looks like the $18 price is good until Feb 23rd)

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip! I actually just went right by our TSC yesterday. That's what I get for not checking first. Guess I have another trip to make.

(Edit: Checked our local TSC ad on their site, looks like the $18 price is good until Feb 23rd)
One option with TSC is to order online and have it shipped to your store at no cost. That way you can get the quantity you want and pick it up at your leisure. At least, that's possible with my local TSC.

Top quality full synthetic oil at $8 (after rebate) for five quarts is just too good to pass up, IMO.

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Glad I never made it to Walmart the other day …. Now I can grab the TSC deal at 18.00 for the 5qt., minus the 10.00 rebate … I really like the final 8.00 price …. grabbing a couple for my shelf stock … :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'd appreciate some information on what they mean by "gas truck". Is there something that makes it less desirable for other (non-diesel) vehicles?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd appreciate some information on what they mean by "gas truck". Is there something that makes it less desirable for other (non-diesel) vehicles?
Just marketing. A couple years back Rotella dropped the gas rating on a lot of their diesel oils, so they came out with multi-vehicle T6 but it doesn't have the high ZDDP since it has to meet SN and now they came out with the Gas Truck.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I can help on that.

Gas Truck (Gasoline Engines class) is more than great for snow blowers.

Diesel engines have a problem with crud (acid but also carbon). In order to deal with it, diesel engine oil is beefed up and costs more as a result. Shell, Chevron, Texaco (or whoever they are now) all have massive Industrial as well as passenger car engine offerings (and greases and gear lubes).

Castrol and Penzoil etc are purely in the passenger car/cycle end. They don't have Industrial/Commercial offerings so you don't see those terms used by them, they don't have it.

Diesel Engine Oil non syn is really good oil if you don't have temp issue (we do so I don't use it) .

Rotella Syn Diesel is major overkill for a snowblower, but if you get it at a good price and or use it in your Auto as well at cold temps it works better for easy spin, nothign wrong with it.

Me? I use Mobile 4T, is readily available, you don't use much of it and I ran it in the cycles and now the Ural (its air cooled oriented which applies to snow blower engines)

I change Blower oil once every 5 years as its synthetic and you don't use up the syn oil in that time (probably not regular r oil either but the syn lets the machine spin over for start a lot easier) and mine is kept in a unheated shed.

Hope that helps. If you store in heated place then any oil within the viscosity range is going to do fine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I change Blower oil once every 5 years as its synthetic and you don't use up the syn oil in that time (probably not regular r oil either but the syn lets the machine spin over for start a lot easier) and mine is kept in a unheated shed.
RC20, from your entire post I can see you probably know what I'm about to say but I'm posting this so others wouldn't misinterpret your comment.

There are several reasons why engine oil is changed, including:
  • Loss or breakdown of viscosity,
  • Contaminant buildup.
Synthetic oils maintain viscosity much longer than conventional oils allowing longer oil change intervals. However, synthetic oil can do little more than conventional to deal with contaminants in the oil. Instead, oil filters minimize contaminant buildup. Some snow blowers use oil filters and, those that do can go longer between oil changes when using synthetic oil. For those snow blowers (and other small engines) that don't have an oil filter, the regular oil filter change interval should be used irrespective of whether synthetic or conventional oil is used in order to minimize problems from contaminants.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Tony P:

No problem with discussion and disagreement. My background is diesel fire pump and generator maintenance, including a Duetz out Clark Air base way, 50 hour changes with a strainer (not a filter). 20,000+ some hours estimated on it. Sometimes the USAF guys changed it when the were suppose to and they had a lame one who just did lip service.

Oil filter does not change things, it gets big stuff but no contaminants.

Our Passsat Diesel has a special EP synthetic, 10,000 mile recommended regardless of use.

The protection is in the oil for acid and the various additives that will deplete out.

Based on hours of use? 5 years is fine. I didn't jump into it, been creeping up on it until abut 2008 or so when I settled in on 5 and just because I get nervous at that point.

Good oil has good packages and synthetic is less prone to breakdown though that is high temp related and the Blower does not see high temps (syn huge help with the spin when cold)

·
Registered
266 Posts
RC20, thanks for the follow-up. I believe we’re generally in agreement. Most snow blower manuals suggest oil changes after some number of hours of use or annually. Like you, I believe that hours of use (similar to miles for a vehicle) is the preferred interval and if that’s 5 years for your situation, that’s good. I change my oil when I prep for storage, not because I think it’s necessary but because I find it easy to do and one less thing to think about.

I agree that synthetic motor oil additives generally provide excellent, long term protection for acids, allowing for longer change intervals.

However, let’s also note the issue of other engine contaminants which is one of the two major reasons for changing oil. (The other being viscosity breakdown.) Contaminants include:
  • Dirt and dust: Dirt and dust find their way into the engine through the air intake particularly in small engines where air filters provide minimal protection. Over time, dirt and dust act as abrasives that can seriously damage an engine.
  • Metal: Normal wear produces small particles that become suspended in the oil and are circulated within the engine. This is particularly true of small engines where machine precision and tolerances are not up the standards of vehicles and other expensive equipment. Over time, dirt and dust create even larger metal particles.
  • Combustion by-products: Small engines are notorious for incomplete combustion which creates a residue of soot and carbon.
I mentioned engine contaminants because I think it’s important to the discussion to do so, not because of concern the snow blower will die if oil isn’t changed timely. The fact is that engines on snow blowers are probably the longest lasting components and that it will take years of overdue oil changes for the engine to go. Snow blowers often need repair long before the engine becomes the issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was always told the most important filter on an engine is the air filter and since neither of my blowers have one or oil filters I'm not extending my drain intervals. I know in the winter there is not a lot of dust blowing around but for what it cost to do an oil change on a blower I'll continue the annual changes. My old MTD gets conventional because after 24 years I don't want to take a chance on a synthetic getting in there and start cleaning things and end up with a leak, my last change on that cost $1.99 for some Formula Shell from Menards. My newer SS gets synthetic because that's what I started using after the first 5 hours, that doesn't cost much because my car takes 4.5 quarts so I always have half full quarts laying around.

As Kenny Loggins says "do what you like".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts