Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a toro 1132 and I'm gettting it ready for the winter and noticed that it's shifting hard. Any ideas why and what can I do to fix it?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If it is(hopefully) a Friction Wheel Drive, Clean the hex shaft it rides on with Sandpaper and then make sure it is greased. Lube any linkage as well.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
If it is(hopefully) a Friction Wheel Drive, Clean the hex shaft it rides on with Sandpaper and then make sure it is greased. Lube any linkage as well.
yep, put it in the service position, and clean it up. be careful not to over lube it , a little is better than alot,

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
I forgot, ALOHA from the Paradise City.:smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027::smiley-rpg027:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is it hard shifting when running or not? If both then the transmission probably has an issue rust, bent shift fork, frozen detent spring, ect. If its mostly running then check if the drive belt is trying to spin even a little will keep pressure on it making it hard to shift.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Powershift Transmissions are Prone to Failure in My Experiences With Them. That's Why I was "Hopeful" it was a Friction Drive Setup.

·
9,612 Posts
Can you explain how I can lube the linkage? it look difficult to get to.
Take the rear panel off and start out with a good looksee in there. and report back with findings and pics. could be a number of things going on or living up in there. start with that first.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
9,612 Posts
Powershift Transmissions are Prone to Failure in My Experiences With Them. That's Why I was "Hopeful" it was a Friction Drive Setup.
Yeah they can be, if they are beaten like a red headed step child. and rode hard only to be put away wet. but if proper care and maint is done it should last a long time. I have had mine now for 24 years now and never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Is it hard shifting when running or not? If both then the transmission probably has an issue rust, bent shift fork, frozen detent spring, ect. If its mostly running then check if the drive belt is trying to spin even a little will keep pressure on it making it hard to shift.
keep in mind 351 is a long time toro dealer helping us out with what he knows from major 1st hand.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yeah they can be, if they are beaten like a red headed step child. and rode hard only to be put away wet. but if proper care and maint is done it should last a long time. I have had mine now for 24 years now and never had a problem with it.
I have Scrapped Numerous Powershifts with bad Transmissions over the Years. Probably Why they Stopped using that Configuration. Hope Yours Continues to serve you well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have Scrapped Numerous Powershifts with bad Transmissions over the Years. Probably Why they Stopped using that Configuration. Hope Yours Continues to serve you well.
The powershift transmission is and was a awesome setup. I find lack of maintenance and knowledge of how it works to be the biggest problem. It has more going on than most snow blowers sure but its no harder to take care of. The price got to high to keep building them and the new power max did great so they simplified the line. Which worked out good unlike the wheelhorse tractor line. I would say any snow blower line that ran from around 1988 to 2004 with not to many changes or problems and lots of people still use to this day is a great one.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Like Them or Not, the Powershift Transmission has Gone the Way of the Dodo. Wishing Everyone Still Using One Many Continued Successes with It.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts