Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driveway is pretty short, its two cars wide, two cars deep. However, it is somewhat steep - about a 20% grade.

Is the Toro 'Power Propel' feature on the 721 series legit? Would that help going up hill? Also concerned about a couple posts that single stage units tend to 'dance' when going up hill, but two Toro dealers said they've never heard of such a thing.

Another option would be the Ariens Compact 22" two stage... I'm basically trying to decide between those two machines right now. I would get the 721 if it were not for the hill - it seems easier to store, easier to get out of the garage, and I like that it goes down to the ground.

I live on the west side of Cleveland, my area rarely gets enough snow to justify a two stage. My experience has been frequent, smaller snows.

Anyone have experience with a single stage going up hill?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Talked to my neighbor, he has a single stage, same driveway length & slope - he just goes side to side across the driveway instead of up and down.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Anyone have experience with a single stage going up hill?
Yes, with both Toro SS and Ariens SS machines.

Our drive is fairly steep. Sometimes the machine pulls you down the drive too fast, other times it can be difficult for your feet to get adequate traction to get back up the hill while keeping the machine moving forward. I don't know what the perfect solution is. The SS machine cleans to bare pavement, the 2 stage machine doesn't clean to bare pavement.

I'd vote for the SS machine in most cases unless you're dealing with heavier snow falls throughout the season...

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
take djc6's advice and go side to side

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have. I destroyed them fairly quickly. I think they're called Traxx ??
I ordered on Amazon a pair called the "STABILicers Original Heavy Duty Traction Cleat" - basically a solid rubber/plastic form you strap to bottom of the shoe, and it has a bunch of screws attached to the bottom of it. I've not had a chance to wear them yet.

I saw the Traxx when I was looking, they didn't seem particularly sturdy to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a steep uphill driveway (garage is in the house's basement) - 30% grade, 2 cars wide. This configuration influence me to go with a tracked snowblower. That was a wise choice based on last year experience. Under all situation (ice, snowstorm, wet snow, drift, etc) the snowblower is able to cope with the slope... and even "lift" me to the street level. I really doudt that a single stage would be efficient in all situation. I need to mention that I always need to do a finishing pass of scraper shovel to do a top notch job.

This is my feedback, hope this help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it snowed 5-6 inches today, so I got a chance to use my 721QZE :) No problems going up/down driveway with the grade, didn't bother with side to side. It does pull a little going downhill, but nothing bad. I was able to knock out my driveway/sidewalk and my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk pretty quickly. I'm glad I got a single stage, it was easy to maneuver on curved walkways and getting all the little nooks and crannies. The snow plow had already gone by a couple times, no issues with the slush at the end of the driveway!

Now my sister wants me to bring it over so she can try it and decide if she wants to buy a 721 vs paying for a plow service

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you can share a picture once you have them fitted !
Here are some pictures. They worked well, they held tight to my boots and I didn't feel like they were moving around at all while using my snowthrower! Quite happy with them.

Only thing I'm concerned about if forgetting to take them off when I go in the house and damaging my wood floors :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, it snowed 5-6 inches today, so I got a chance to use my 721QZE :) No problems going up/down driveway with the grade, didn't bother with side to side. It does pull a little going downhill, but nothing bad. I was able to knock out my driveway/sidewalk and my neighbor's driveway and sidewalk pretty quickly. I'm glad I got a single stage, it was easy to maneuver on curved walkways and getting all the little nooks and crannies. The snow plow had already gone by a couple times, no issues with the slush at the end of the driveway!

Now my sister wants me to bring it over so she can try it and decide if she wants to buy a 721 vs paying for a plow service
Good choice, tremendous machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know if this was a long term solution for you. Purchased a used track snowblower thinking my little toro would not do the job on the steep driveway. The tracks stopped working after 1 pass and the toro kicked ass. I am just afraid its not a good long term solution. Side to side does not work as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts