Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone spoke to dealers or other sources regarding snow blower shortages for this fall/winter?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have, but they had no answer. They are hoping that production cranks back up but with the "shortages" it is up to the overlords. They sure could have used them in jan/feb.

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
Shortages all over the Reno NV/Lake Tahoe area. Dealers told me maybe 2 years before they have new stock.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just trying to figure out if I have a garage full of "gold" or "garbage"???

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
If you have machines that you went through and brought up to working, good condition, you will always be able to sell them and get a good price.

If you have machines that are broke or "garbage", then you might get offered a small amount or not offered anything.

Your not going to get rich flipping snow blowers. I do it only because I am retired, I enjoy working on them, and I have the knowledge and resources/tools to do the work.

Its nice when you can take a non working , old unit and bring it back to life and back to use. Making it look good is a plus .... :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have machines that you went through and brought up to working, good condition, you will always be able to sell them and get a good price.

If you have machines that are broke or "garbage", then you might get offered a small amount or not offered anything.

Your not going to get rich flipping snow blowers. I do it only because I am retired, I enjoy working on them, and I have the knowledge and resources/tools to do the work.

Its nice when you can take a non working , old unit and bring it back to life and back to use. Making it look good is a plus .... :)
Bingo, I could have wrote that.

I have 5 machines ready to go that with their acquisition costs and all the parts I put into them.... have cost me nothing. That is as long as I don't quantify my labor. Again, I enjoy working on them. I was just trying to figure out what the market might be looking like. So far it sounds encouraging.

Reactions: aldfam4

·
Registered
674 Posts
Shortages all over the Reno NV/Lake Tahoe area. Dealers told me maybe 2 years before they have new stock.
Wow, you can potentially be looking at one heck of winter gold mine selling/repairing your machines!

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
Wow, you can potentially be looking at one heck of winter gold mine selling/repairing your machines!
I mentioned in another thread that I sold 3 last week at winter prices. I price my machines on condition and right now don't see raising prices . What I do is grade them as I am building. The same model can go for 1400 or 2000 depending on overall condition.

What I do now to keep busy is request/require a trade in. Someone who already has a Honda that is broken , tired , or wants to upgrade. This works good for all of us. Either I get a parts machine or another rebuilding project. I have turned down full cash offers many times to get more machines.

It's a fun hobby . When I sell one , I'll take my wife out to Taco Bell or Port of Subs............haha

and buy more beer.....

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
Big spender......LOL

Dropped into the local Honda dealership a couple of weeks ago. Hardly any new motorcycle, side by side inventory. Counted 8 lawnmowers, not sure if that is a sign of things to come for the snow season.
I have ALWAYS been a big spender.

helps to have a "low maintenance" wife. she's easily pleased.

today i brought home the dvd space cowboys home for her ( $2.50 ) at thrift store. she was happy as a clam at high tide.

she's making me my favorite dinner. spaghetti with home made sauce , salad , and garlic bread.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There is no shortage of machines in my shed. I'll make it through just fine.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Premium Member
7,924 Posts
dealer has some stock left over from last august but told me 1 1/2 to 2 years before new stock is avaialble.. that is what corporate told them.

( Honda )

·
Super Moderator
1,779 Posts
I'm expecting shortages of many things in the next couple of years. Especially anything with an electrical component, as computer chip production is seriously hobbled at the moment.

Take care of those old machines... they can't be foiled by such mischief.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was thinking of doing some upgrades on my machine this summer/fall, but it runs good right now, so why fix what ain't broken. I'll probably still buy the parts now and wait until inventories and prices are back to normal, before tinkering.

With lumber coming down to somewhat reasonable prices, a new shed might get done before the winter.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
😃😄😊 ..... I'm all set til I die ......
My friend and I once purchased beautiful sets of hand made wooden cross country skis by Peltonen of Hartola, Finland. They had one more matching set in my length, the last ones in existence, which I also purchased. I said that same thing to myself, "I'm all set 'til I die". Two years later when I was moving home to Maine, a passing semi on the highway ripped all my skis, including all four Peltonens, off the roof rack and they splintered all over the highway. My friend still has his pair 40 years later. You just never know...

Reactions: Oneacer

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I was at Lowe's a day or two ago and noticed a handful of new snow throwers sitting out front. Was a mix of TORO and Ariens. Maybe leftovers from last year?

Reactions: orangputeh
1 - 20 of 61 Posts