Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Lawn Tractor is a Craftsman DLT2000, model 917.272246 with a 42" Snow Thrower attachment. The Tractor is equipped with an electric clutch that engages the auger. Should the clutch be disengaged each time you put the auger in the raised position? Or leave it engaged both in the up position and the down (working) position?

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
I can't think of a reason you should have to shut it off when in the raised position. What does the owner's manual have to say?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Either way should be ok. If you turn it off each time you back up, it will put some wear on the clutch and maybe the drive belt. If you don't turn it off, then everything else wears, but not as much as when it's working.

I do both with mine, if I can hear the blower making noise, I usually shut it off, if it's working quietly, then I don't worry about it and leave it on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank's for your comments. Mt thought was one reason to shut it off in the up position is that the belt is at a greater angle to the drive pulley and my guess is the belt will wear faster. But on the other hand, turning the clutch on and off frequently may result in wearing out the clutch. I guess it's six of one or a half dozen of the other. The Owners manual doesn't address the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts