Snowblower Forum banner

Should I buy a new motor or buy a new snow blower

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  pwarmen3 
#1 ·
New to the forum, still digging around for information.

My main question is where is a good website or source to buy motors from?

The 8.5 hp Briggs & Stratton on my 2005 Craftsman 536 blown up Tuesday night or at least I think it did. Started the machine up to a clean-up and started my second pass when it started ticking very loudly. I shut down and now the pull rope will not pull over the engine. I have yet to tear into the machine to confirm but I feeling is that is cooked.

The second question, being that the machine is 15 years old, should I even bother with replacing the motor and just replaced the machine instead? I do feel the need for heated handlebars.

If this has been discussed before, please point me in the direction of the treads. Or the right search criteria that I should be using.

#4 ·
If you like the machine then I would fix it.
Right now its worth nothing..you can spend 150 or less on it and have it going.
Would you buy that machine for 150 if it ran?
Would you pay 150 dollars for that machine with a new engine on it...even better.
If the rest of the machine has been doing what you need it to do..isnt rusted out anywhere..then spend the 150.
People are happy with those predator engines...some even look forward to an engine failure so they can put on a predator engine...I haven't used a predator engine on a snowblower...but everyone here that has says they run exceptionally well

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
If you like the machine then I would fix it.
Right now its worth nothing..you can spend 150 or less on it and have it going.
Would you buy that machine for 150 if it ran?
Would you pay 150 dollars for that machine with a new engine on it...even better.
If the rest of the machine has been doing what you need it to do..isnt rusted out anywhere..then spend the 150.
People are happy with those predator engines...some even look forward to an engine failure so they can put on a predator engine...I haven't used a predator engine on a snowblower...but everyone here that has says they run exceptionally well
I would buy it for $150 or a little more.

The existing engine is an 8.5 hp 249 cc Briggs& Stratton with a model number 15A114-0342-E1. When I crossed referenced this with B&S website, the new version of this motor is the 1150 Series Professional Snow Engine with a model number 15C107-0019-F8 for $410 before shipping cost. A little steep considering I can purchase a newer version of the Craftsman snowblower for $1,000 from Lowes.

I am having a hard time finding which predator engine matches up. The Predator 8 HP 301cc Engine ($270) doesn't match up with the B&S 1150. A little help with matching would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Ted

#6 ·
Ditto me too, what does the rest look like and have you ever fixed anything on it?
What is your skill level too?
Do you have tools?
Warm garage? :)

Reactions: Eyeboltman
#8 ·
For Skill that depends, I just don't have a lot of experience or the tools to tear the engine down and rebuild it. My problem is when it comes to motors is correctly troubleshooting the problem, not the work itself. My skill set is more things are associated with drywall and wood studs. As for a Warm garage not yet. But an engine swap should be not a problem. Simple as changing out a light bulb, right. :rolleyes:

This weekend if time permits I will pull the engine to confirm my instincts that the engine is toast.

I have had the machine for about about 12 years when I got from a neighbor that was moving. I replaced belts, chute, and skids and had a new carb put on.

#11 ·
Welcome . . .

Search around some of the OPE engine websites for better deals on an 11.5 torque engine. Overall the machine itself looks decent and the engine seems to be of the newer OHV vintage rather than the flat heads of old.

What do you mean by 'match-up' You could probably put just about any engine between 200 and 350cc on that chassis. Shaft height off of the deck and the shaft diameter may be the only trick, but you can always buy aftermarket pulleys to match and maybe have to get a slightly different belt if the height is different than the 'old' Briggs.

Most Briggs of the 11.5 series will probably install fine with no modifications needed.

Reactions: Rooskie
#13 ·
Welcome to SBF Krushert

Before you go spending a lot of time doing research maybe pull the belt cover off and inspect the belts. Check the idler/tensioner pulleys for play. Check for something loose like the bearing behind the impeller by trying to jiggle the impeller and the same with the bearings/bushings at the ends of the augers.
Kind of depends on how loud that ticking was, where it seemed to come from and it's frequency as to what might be causing it. Might be something simple. Is it all the time when the engine was running or just when in drive or blowing snow ?
I sure would consider repowering your machine. Looks to be in good shape. I'd likely go with the Harbor Freight 8hp 301cc. The 212 cc will work but at 27" I'd rather have the extra power for EOD or heavy slushy snow. Have you checked to see if your engine has a 1" diameter shaft ?

#14 ·
My plan is to start dissecting the machine this tomorrow if I am not finished installing the heat in my basement. Waiting to hear back from my friend who is a boiler tech. Been working remotely in my basement with no heat and the furnace site 6-feet from me.:cautious:

I am going to check to make sure the transmission and the augur drive is free and working. But the noise was occurring with the drive levers released. Then I am going to check the measurements of the shaft.

I would like to go match the CCs of the existing or larger. I do live in Maine on the coast where we either get the slush or the Nor'Easter. And I blow two driveways.

Anything else to look out for or measure? How will the base plate match up?

Thanks again. This good information.

#15 ·
i would say before you go too crazy have you tried removing the spark plug and pulling the engine over? also how is the oil level? if the engine is locked up with the plug out there is likely something wrong internally but also be careful because gas could come out if it is what is stopping your engine from spinning over.

#17 ·
ok if that is the case definitely sounds like you might have had the motor fail. it likely isn't worth repairing. you might be able to get $50 or so for the engine as parts and put it towards the new engine. you could try looking for a used engine but you should probably see what size shaft you need first.

#19 ·
I had the same Craftsman blower. The Briggs engine on these actually has 2 oil ports to add oil - the one on right side has the yellow plastic fill tube and the one on left side is simply a yellow plastic threaded plug. I recall that it was not uncommon for vibration to cause the left yellow plastic plug to back out, and then allow oil to drain out during uee, and in at least one instance, result in engine failure due to oil starvation. Just for interest, check to make sure the left yellow plug did not back out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.