Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
if your paying a shop to repair stuff for you then you should probably pass and just buy new. i really don't see you buying too many good 10hp engines for $20 but good deals to pop up occasionally but then again most of them good deals still usually require a $20 carb kit. i kind of understand why more people are willing to just throw a carb at things for $20-30 instead of messing with things. most of the newer carbs are such a pain to get working right because of tight emissions standards. i was tired of messing with the one on my neighbors ariens snowblower and paid the $35 for a new one. his machine sounded so much better afterwords. i don't think his machine had ever run this good even when new. i know someone else with an ariens machine who may be getting the same thing done next winter because i am done with that carb also.
I am not paying to do the repair, I do them myself, I only pay for part when I need them, example: I have an ariens snowblower that needed a valve job(leaky exhaust valve.) I took the old one out, brought them to that repair shop,asked them if they needed to be replaced or just machined, guy said they are done, I bought 2 valve, installed them myself, but I cannot test them because of a rookie mistake, I forgot to take picture of the linkage and now I am lost, but I got a plan

·
Registered
434 Posts
That 11hp Briggs is worth outleast 100 bucks. Those engines are 399cc, they were the biggest flatheads ever put on snowblowers. The 13hp Tecumseh is only 358cc. They put vertical versions of those same engine's on lawn tractors with 38" and 42" inch decks, luke the Craftsmans from the late 80's and Simplicity's, so they should have good power to them. I have yet to personally try one of those 11hp flathead Briggs on a snowblower, but I would Imagine it would have great power, more than the 13hp Tecumseh and those older built Briggs were built very well and solid. So yea, I'd say its worth it, just for the engine alone. I saw one for sale here in NJ, $125 looks like fully operational.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That 11hp Briggs is worth outleast 100 bucks. Those engines are 399cc, they were the biggest flatheads ever put on snowblowers. The 13hp Tecumseh is only 358cc. They put vertical versions of those same engine's on lawn tractors with 38" and 42" inch decks, luke the Craftsmans from the late 80's and Simplicity's, so they should have good power to them. I have yet to personally try one of those 11hp flathead Briggs on a snowblower, but I would Imagine it would have great power, more than the 13hp Tecumseh and those older built Briggs were built very well and solid. So yea, I'd say its worth it, just for the engine alone. I saw one for sale here in NJ, $125 looks like fully operational.
on thing you need to pay carefull about these old briggs, if you don't change the oil after each season, the oild became sand paper and destroy the cylinder walls, I learned that the hard way

21 - 24 of 24 Posts