Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first post here. Probably not the last.

I am about to go to meet a guy to see about this Ariens 36 inch 10 HP blower.

1. How old is this machine?

2 Is it a good deal at $300 if everything works properly?
3 Are there replacement parts for it when things break?
4. Please feel free to give any advice when going to purchase as to what to do to it to make sure its a solid machine. I was told that it is super solid and had the carb just replaced, and no other issues.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I heard those old Ariens snowblowers are well made (thicker metal and everything), but they are old and don't sell very well. They seemed to throw big volumes of snow, but not very far (it is just how they were made). Those big wheels look good, but they have zero traction (install chains on them is a must).

There is no way you can find OEM parts for those 30 years old, or more snowblowers. Used parts maybe available if you are lucky. I saw people on here having trouble to find parts for those snowblowers.

Unless you are handy and you want it as a project (modify and restore it), you should look for something else. Unliked old classic cars, not many people want vintage snowblowers. That snowblower for $300 is a "nah" for me. For $200 more, you should be able to find a good used snowblower. Ariens is the right choice.

Used snowblower is used. They have wore out parts and rust. They will need maintenance. Even my 10 years old Ariens have rust and many things to be replaced. Most people don't take care of their snowblowers.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Looks More like a 32" Machine, and it's the Earlier Round Bucket. I have one, it's my Go-To Machine. Virtually Bulletproof, Add Impeller Seal, and swap out Chute with a Taller One, and that will Kick Ass, and Last for Years with No plastic Bullshit or cables to Break. Ariens is Very Good with Parts Availability, even with the Older Units. If it Runs and works, Buy It- It looks to be in Good Shape. Make Sure You get the Airbox/Carb Cover.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks More like a 32" Machine, and it's the Earlier Round Bucket. I have one, it's my Go-To Machine. Virtually Bulletproof, Add Impeller Seal, and swap out Chute with a Taller One, and that will Kick Ass, and Last for Years with No plastic Bullshit or cables to Break. Ariens is Very Good with Parts Availability, even with the Older Units. If it Runs and works, Buy It- It looks to be in Good Shape. Make Sure You get the Airbox/Carb Cover.
Paint looks good for a 30-50 years old snowblowers. I wonder if it is lead paint.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If you get it, I would put on some XTrac tires …. I would not put chains on those lawn tires, you'll bounce that machine creating all kinds of issues and early wear. See if you can get it down in price, since you have to put on new tires.

I have quite a few of the older units, there solid and work great.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I agree..it is a 32.....bulletproof, add chains, tall chute, impeller kit and you can run with the big boys. If the Tec craps out.....a 420 cc Predator and no one will ever keep up....I've got a few just like that one....love them.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Paint looks good for a 30-50 years old snowblowers. I wonder if it is lead paint.
Whatever that Paint is, it is Very Tough and Durable. Two Things I didn't like from Ariens was the Powdercoating and the Bronze Auger Gear that came in the ST's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You guys are right it's a 32 inch. It was improperly posted in the ad.

Thanks you guys for the valuable input.

This is my first 2 stage. I got him down to $200 because he replaced the original carb with a POS aftermarket one instead of rebuilding the original.... and now it does not idol correctly. It was done by an 80 year old man so I, didn't make a big deal out of it.

It revs up and down due to carb not being correctly tuned.....i think. I managed to get it to idol decently by playing with the choke on the new carb. I think it just needs a carb adjustment...I hope.

He put the original carb cover back on, but, the carb intake is wide open. He tried telling me that it's perfectly ok for nothing to be on the intake. That does not seem right. It needs a freaking filter or something right?

Other than that it is in amazing condition for it's age, All the bearings and bushings are good. I guess we'll see how well it throws snow.

Not too sure about all the seals. It was garage kept and was not used for many, many years. But it fired right up. Starter it strong and fast.

Tires need chains or new knobby tires.

I did notice little bursts of fire in the muffler. Is that normal?
Maybe it was becasue the oil was thin and smelled like gas. He said it flooded from the old carb.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Even if it is lead paint, do you really think kids, or anyone else is going to eat it off a snowblower ?
Some of those old industrial machines back in the day were painted with DuPont "IMRON".
It was a pretty durable paint back then and took a lot of abuse, polyurethane enamel, it was flexible, that was a good hazardous paint when painted but it held up well and was expensive.
It was probably better for the kids to eat, except it didn't chip off that easily like the leaded paint did. Sarcasm.

·
Registered
848 Posts

This is my first 2 stage. I got him down to $200 because he replaced the original carb with a POS aftermarket one instead of rebuilding the original.... and now it does not idol correctly. It was done by an 80 year old man so I, didn't make a big deal out of it.

It revs up and down due to carb not being correctly tuned.....i think. I managed to get it to idol decently by playing with the choke on the new carb. I think it just needs a carb adjustment...I hope.

He put the original carb cover back on, but, the carb intake is wide open. He tried telling me that it's perfectly ok for nothing to be on the intake. That does not seem right. It needs a freaking filter or something right?

Other than that it is in amazing condition for it's age, All the bearings and bushings are good. I guess we'll see how well it throws snow.

Not too sure about all the seals. It was garage kept and was not used for many, many years. But it fired right up. Starter it strong and fast.

Maybe it was because the oil was thin and smelled like gas. He said it flooded from the old carb.
It might have tight valve clearance causing the rough idle and little bits of flame coming out the exhaust, but a lot of that is common with an old motor like that, also a "lean" condition in the idle circuit can cause a bit of a surge when running as can an improper float level.
Also check your valve seat and valve face condition in case they may be worn in an older engine. The old engines usually gave more tolerances to re-cut the seats and re-grind the valve face, or just re-lap them to make sure they seal properly, but after doing that, check and adjust the valve stem clearance so the valves seal properly. Set the intake valve a little bit on the loose side to help build your compression a bit higher and it will have a little more power.
Check your valve clearance first, if it is too tight, then you will have to remove the valves to grind the stems to adjust the clearance, then you can inspect the valves to see if they need any service or replacement.
Sounds like the float needle and seat may not have been seating properly, an easy replacement item, that could cause the flooding and oil contamination from gas.
Most snowblowers don't use an air filter because they would freeze up, they may have used a deflector or a screen, that was about it on the older machines.
Stay away from tire chains, unless you want to scratch up your driveway and destroy your drive-train on your snowblower, and shake it apart to death.
Use a good set of X-Trac or Snow-Hog type tires instead, plus it will be easier to move around without the engine running.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You have a 924 series 32” there.Probably a 924044 since its a 10 hp.
If it has a 6 blade impeller, you have the holy grail of the series.
Fantastic machines, don’t wear out unless not maintained.
I have had a 924024 for about 10 years, runs great.
Yes, it is well worth $200

·
Registered
196 Posts
Whatever that Paint is, it is Very Tough and Durable. Two Things I didn't like from Ariens was the Powdercoating and the Bronze Auger Gear that came in the ST's.
Jack- why don't you like the powdercoating?

I would buy this machine with the understanding you will have possible projects sooner or later. I have a 1968 10,000 series and will never buy new! Start at $200 and go up if need be. Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm told the 32" Sno-Thro is a commercial grade machine and having inspected Jack's go-to machine, I see it has much thicker skid shoe material, more impeller vanes and a larger tractor housing.

Get the appropriate tire chains for it and you're good to go. Turf-saver tires should be outfitted with smaller chain material diameter which creates smaller links that don't sit as high above the tire tread surface. You'll want 2-link cross chain spacing pattern. This gives you more cross chains for a given tire diameter and less bouncing.

Do not get the big chain material diameter as used on snow hog tires. These chains sit much higher above the tire tread surface (necessary to clear the snow hog's knobbies) and will bounce around on a paved driveway; especially if they're of a 4-link cross-chain spacing pattern. See link below.

Presence of those turf saver tires means that machine accepts Ariens Trac-Team attachments.

https://www.tirechain.com/12x3.htm

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Jack- why don't you like the powdercoating?

I would buy this machine with the understanding you will have possible projects sooner or later. I have a 1968 10,000 series and will never buy new! Start at $200 and go up if need be. Good luck!
Powdercoat was not very durable. Like Night and Day Compared to that Paint used earlier.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You have a 924 series 32” there.Probably a 924044 since its a 10 hp.
If it has a 6 blade impeller, you have the holy grail of the series.
Fantastic machines, don’t wear out unless not maintained.
I have had a 924024 for about 10 years, runs great.
Yes, it is well worth $200
I'm pretty sure the 6 blade wasn't available in the Round Buckets.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

Maybe it was becasue the oil was thin and smelled like gas. He said it flooded from the old carb.

That Engine has Points Ignition. I would Check the Condition of the Points Before Doing Anything else. If it Revs up and down, try adjusting the Screw on the Side of the Carb. Keep us Posted.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts