Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I've owned the subject machine (M/N 1691900, S/N 1164) for going on 15 years and it's been rock solid. Last year it developed an issue where the friction disc started "wandering" on the drive disc. So essentially 5th speed became 3rd, 3rd became 1st, and 1st became R1. I made infinite adjustments to the shift linkage, to no avail. It's not clear to me what is supposed to be holding the friction wheel in position - it appears to be just the tension from a spring on the shift arm - so I'm not sure which part is worn/failing. I don't really want to start just throwing parts at it...anyone know if there is a single culprit here or if my drive train is just "worn out".

The video shows how the friction disc is in proper 1st speed alignment when it hits the drive disc..then it quickly slides over into R1 once the drive is engaged.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
03 Simlicity 860E, 78 Ariens 922022
268 Posts
You are saying the lever or linkage moves with it when it wanders?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! The friction disc wanders independently of the lever. It always pulls from left to right once it makes contact with the drive disc, then stays in that position until it is disengaged. So the lever will be in 3rd when the disc is in 1st speed position. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
You sure that friction disc bearings are ok? its either in the fork assembly or on the ends of the shaft, depending on the setup.

something there is certainly not right ... you will have to get in there and do some detective work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
You sure that friction disc bearings are ok? its either in the fork assembly or on the ends of the shaft, depending on the setup.

something there is certainly not right ... you will have to get in there and do some detective work.
I agree, if that wheel is wandering under pressure it’s certainly a bearing. Or at least that would be a sound place to start.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm currently tearing into my 860 DLX to replace a friction disc. I could be wrong, but to me it looks as though you friction disc is completely wore out. Friction Disc should have a rubber padding on the outside of it making contact with the drive disc.

1725428SM - I am assuming that would be the part # for the friction disc as that is the part # for my machine.

Something to look into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts