Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings friends.....I saw an ad for this Simplicity 870 an hour away for short money and couldn't resist. I've got an Allis Tracker 7 and it's twin the Snow Away 7, as well as an odd Snow Away from the 60's that has that funky two stage that is 90 degrees from what we are used to. This machine is all there and works perfectly, but I'll go through it for a complete service. My question, any one have experience with this or it's sister the 860? It looks as robust as the earlier Simplicity's but as old as this one probably is, it is still the newest Simplicity I've seen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Looks to be in great shape. I really like the way they incorporated the fog light onto the gas tank.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to touch up the auger housing, check out the tranny( never seen the inside of one of these.....I'm so excited), and just do a general service and impeller mod. Anyone here got one of these can give me some feedback?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nice machine cranman! If it's anything like it's predecessors, it will be a tank! It seems to be a fairly common machine that we never hear anyone needing help with fixing...presumably b/c they don't break?

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I'm jealous....great catch!
I've missed on a couple of these big Simplicity tanks but hope to snag one someday. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
That is the Professional/Commercial line. Look at the shape of the tubing. The whole machine is heavy, well built. That model is the Best on the market. I'd love to have that! Ever get to NJ? I am serious.

·
Registered
407 Posts
...... I really like the way they incorporated the fog light onto the gas tank.
Yes,it does an excellent job of illuminating the back of the hopper so you can read the stickers while you go...the light sucks.

I have the Allis Chalmers version of this same blower.The light uses an ordinary 27 watt automotive tail light bulb.I finally,this fall, installed a large sealed-beam unit up on the control panel(bypassing original bulb,alternator not powerful enough to run both)-that should work a whole lot better.

For a 28 inch blower,the Tecumseh HM80 seems a bit underpowered,doesn't blow snow that far(typical for blowers of this vintage) but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really am hoping for snow this year to give it a good workout. I've got a couple of extra 10 hp Tec's if the 8 is a little weak...maybe even a 12 OHV Tec. This machine is very heavy and robust....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Greetings friends.....I saw an ad for this Simplicity 870 an hour away for short money and couldn't resist. I've got an Allis Tracker 7 and it's twin the Snow Away 7, as well as an odd Snow Away from the 60's that has that funky two stage that is 90 degrees from what we are used to. This machine is all there and works perfectly, but I'll go through it for a complete service. My question, any one have experience with this or it's sister the 860? It looks as robust as the earlier Simplicity's but as old as this one probably is, it is still the newest Simplicity I've seen.
I live in N.E. North Dakota and my now ex and I bought a Simplicity 1428L about 10 years ago brand new. We have had literally no issues with this blower. Long story short we split up and she got the Simplicity 1428L. I moved on and now have a Toro 726 TE which I really like, but Simplicity makes a really good machine from my experience. This doesn't answer your question I know but Simplicity for my money is a very well built durable machine.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cran glad you got one...that is just like mine except for your chute has been adapted I would say for the better looks like a Simplicity long chute with an MTD deflector(CUB CADET OR SNOW FLITE). Manuals are easy to get as well. 1690776 or 5. Definite impeller kit.....mine hates EOD if any heavy stuff my chute clogs. Mine rides up easy but I am use to it I just back it off and it usuallly sinks in. Easy to work on.....

Actually no same lower chute but upper mod, looks like the added a spring from later 90's model chute.

All I can say about this specific design is since they started making this particular body it has never left....so thay must have done something right!!!!

What are the numbers off your tecumseh????

Disregard I have never seen that chute before but blk05crew has a 5hp one and it has the same style chute as yours..... With the cable for that chute. Check his out very nice example.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys...getting into servicing this old girl, I just discovered she has the Power Boost impeller pulley on the auger side....very cool idea. Now my question...is there any lubrication I should do on this? I tried moving the shiv against the spring and it didn't want to move....what is my next move?

·
Registered
407 Posts
..... I just discovered she has the Power Boost impeller pulley on the auger side....?
Really?I would have thought that your blower is way too old to have that system-I thought that system is a feature they added fairly recently.Can you post a photo-I'd be interested in seeing the setup.

Definitely put some good quality oil on the bronze bushings in the drivetrain-they will last a lot longer.Put some lithium grease on the plastic gears for the shute rotation shaft(if they are plastic on yours).

Simplicity says to only use their "special" gear oil in the auger box.Mine has leaked for years and I use garden variety "00" grease in it because,frankly,I don't care.There's nothing in the Simplicity gearbox that isn't in an Ariens ST824 aluminum gearbox so grease is what it gets.

The only thing that's likely "special" about their oil is the high price.Any gear oil that's rated as "yellow-metal safe" will work just fine.Trying to find an oil manufacturer that will say "yes,our gear oil is yellow-metal safe" is almost impossible.I've contacted Valvoline twice and asked about their synthetic gear oil,and didn't get a straight answer either time.One thing I know for sure,gl-5 rated does not necessarily mean YMS,as many would like you to believe.Ariens states that their "L-3" lube can be used in any gearbox they've ever made,regardless of type.Probably easier to get than the Simplicity stuff.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just put gear oil 90 in the box....I don't know any better.....this one is old enough to have metal gears on the chute rotation....

·
Registered
407 Posts
.....this one is old enough to have metal gears on the chute rotation....
I have to admit,cranman,your blower is a bit of a mystery to me.It looks exactly like mine and yet it has the powerboost pulley system.I'd love to know what year yours was made or the model number to find that out.I wonder if someone added the powerboost system to your blower.

The gears I'm referring to for the shute rotation are where the down shaft from the control panel meets the shaft coming from the shute,not the spiral gear at the shute.On my 1983 model they're black plastic.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Model number for this one is 1691370...Partstree shows it came with the Power Boost pulley.....costs an arm and leg to buy one from them in pieces. I'll pull the starter button from the Tec to see if we can come up with its age.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Model number for this one is 1691370...Partstree shows it came with the Power Boost pulley.....costs an arm and leg to buy one from them in pieces. I'll pull the starter button from the Tec to see if we can come up with its age.

@cranman, does the engine have a 1" crankshaft? I bought a similar design Simplicity a while back (it came with a dead engine) and it had a Briggs with a 3/4" crankshaft. I'd like to button it back up at some point, but I'm debating whether or not to go with a spare 1" crank engine and find a 1" Power Boost pulley, or buy another 3/4" crankshaft engine and reuse the 3/4" Power Boost pulley that came with the dead engine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
@cranman, does the engine have a 1" crankshaft? I bought a similar design Simplicity a while back (it came with a dead engine) and it had a Briggs with a 3/4" crankshaft....
My 1983 Allis (a Simplicity,different paint),has a 8hp Tecumseh with a 3/4" crank.There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which crank they used,that I know of anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts