Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy folks, I was out this morning trying to clear my driveway when I noticed my machine was moving very slowly in the highest reverse speed and making a chattering noise. In forward gears it seemed to be working fine, travel speed wasn't bad and no noise. I decided I should shut it down and hauled it back into the garage and took the inspection plate off to take a look. Right away I noticed bits of rubber everywhere and the friction disc was toast. Bought this machine new in 2012, it has seen below average use. For a few years we had someone plowing the driveway. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any idea what would have chewed the crap out of the disc? I don't force my machine and I take only half cuts one I get the first track through. Also in case I can't locate the part from the local dealer are other machines compatible for interchange parts? Machine is Model #1695990. TIA

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
That looks like it's been burnt. ???

Slippage?

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure about slippage to be honest. If it was slipping wouldn't there be some rubber burn marks on the drive wheel. The drive plate was very clean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
db130, yes that looks like the part number. I'm glad you pointed that out. I almost ordered the hub by mistake.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The rubber gets dried out and disintegrates, that is normal with any friction drive disc rubber. If they sit a long time without being used it will happen, and the more you use it, the more it wears the rubber off from friction.
They will either dry out and harden or just wear from use, it's common and nothing to worry about, all of the friction drive machines can do that.
Not only wear like you have, but also mice and other little varmints like to get in there and chew the rubber apart. They are an inexpensive part to replace. A normal wear item.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
Do you try to change gears while the machine is in motion??

Or do you come to a complete stop before selecting another gear?? ANY Gear, F or R ??

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
848 Posts
That is a very common disc, it fits a lot of different manufacturers machines and is very easy to get from a lot of different manufacturer dealerships.
Just take the old disc with you to a parts department and they can match one up for you. When they do that, get the part number off of it and you can order it online anywhere, or you could just buy it from the place that showed you the one they have in stock. Like I mentioned, the Simplicity disc is a very very common disc used by lots of other companies, it's the same disc, just a different part number. Most of those discs are all made by the same company. They fit on a lot of Ariens and Toro's and most other major manufacturer machines. Some Cub Cadet/MTD are different using the separate tire on their discs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
At one time I had a Simplicity 860 and the first winter I had it my wheel blew apart very similar to yours. Guess once in a while a bad batch gets pumped out I guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a very common disc, it fits a lot of different manufacturers machines and is very easy to get from a lot of different manufacturer dealerships.
Just take the old disc with you to a parts department and they can match one up for you. When they do that, get the part number off of it and you can order it online anywhere, or you could just buy it from the place that showed you the one they have in stock. Like I mentioned, the Simplicity disc is a very very common disc used by lots of other companies, it's the same disc, just a different part number. Most of those discs are all made by the same company. They fit on a lot of Ariens and Toro's and most other major manufacturer machines. Some Cub Cadet/MTD are different using the separate tire on their discs.
I lucked out my local repair shop had 2 disc's left in stock. The place was a mad house, machines and customers everywhere. Nothing like a big snow storm to ramp business up:grin:. The price was excellent. I'll go back once he re-stocks to get a spare. Here's what I bought.

Here is my machine, I forgot how long since I bought it. Purchased in Jan 2012, it's been good to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No gouges , grooves or rough surface on the disc drive plate. I had planned on taking a picture of everything while I had it opened up but didn't. The plate itself was fine, I just had to clean it off with some brake cleaner before closing it up.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I lucked out my local repair shop had 2 disc's left in stock. The place was a mad house, machines and customers everywhere. Nothing like a big snow storm to ramp business up:grin:. The price was excellent. I'll go back once he re-stocks to get a spare. Here's what I bought.

Here is my machine, I forgot how long since I bought it. Purchased in Jan 2012, it's been good to me.

That's a great looking machine. Who sells the Simplicity line in Nova Scotia?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Barney, it's a little shop about a 15 minute drive from the North Sydney marine terminal. It's called Eric's Engine shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drive belt worn?

Friction disc didn't last long. Might have gotten 3 storms out of it. I wear hearing protection when I use it but noticed a squeal when I put it in reverse last night. I get the squeal in both reverse speeds but no squeal in all the 5 forward speeds. I checked the bearings in the shaft that the friction disc rides on they are both good. I checked the drive plate for signs of wear and movement, all good there. I did notice that the drive belt is way down in the pulley sheave though. I have no reference for how it was when new. I'm thinking that may be the cause of the squeal. Could a worn belt result in slippage of the friction disc putting excess friction on the friction disc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I noticed that also, I tried to get a belt today but shops are closed due to the virus. I thought it strange though that I only get the squeal in reverse. The disc I took off looks like it is tearing away from the steel housing as opposed to wearing from the outside of the rubber band.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts