Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Simplicity has updated the lighting and the chute-deflector control switch for the 2018-19 Signature Pro line. The line also has dual trigger steering. I'm not sure if the 2017's had the dual trigger or not. The chute control switch is a 3rd generation switch and looks like it should be very moisture resistant. http://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/product-catalog/snow-blowers/signature-pro-professional-duty.html If you are looking at heavy duty pro quality, non hydro machines, then put the Signature Pro's on your list.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still looks to have a 12 inch impeller thats a fail for 1899 imo
I think the Signature Pro chassis, (bucket) would need to change to accommodate a larger impeller. However the P1724 model still packs some punch with the Briggs & Stratton 1650 Professional Series™ Snow engine 420cc in a 24" width unit.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think the Signature Pro chassis, (bucket) would need to change to accommodate a larger impeller. However the P1724 model still packs some punch with the Briggs & Stratton 1650 Professional Series™ Snow engine 420cc in a 24" width unit.

for 2800 bucks
not a hydro and a small bucket
that comparable to the 1400 buck ariens 24 sho that has more torque by a lil
how is the simplicity worth 2800 vs 1400 on sale 1499 not on sale 24 sho?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Wow, 24" and 420cc must be a monster! My 24" is 318cc OHV, and I have no complaints. I hope they have the impeller and augers RPM cranked up, to take advantage of that power.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The P1724 (1696927) lists for $1899.00 US. The $2800.00 you are seeing is the price in Canadian dollars. Look at the abbreviation just above the $2800 and you will see "CAN MAP".
Now back to my point, does anyone else have 420cc in a heavy duty chassis in a 24" width?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, 24" and 420cc must be a monster! My 24" is 318cc OHV, and I have no complaints. I hope they have the impeller and augers RPM cranked up, to take advantage of that power.
That's my point, it's one of the few on the market that can wear the name "professional".

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
looks like its rated at 16.50 ft lbs for 420 cc
the 24 sho is 17 ft lbs for 369 cc
based on there specs the ariens sho has slightly more power
imo the 24 sho should be 1300
i would never pay 1899 for a 24 bucket
or 1499 for the ariens sho 24
28 sho just likes to nice for 1249 with 15 ft lbs and hi speed impeller

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It is nice to see that this year Toro and Simplicity have improved their 2-stage snow blowers. I think both companies are now much better positioned to compete against Ariens. This is a good thing as now all 3 brands are now “arguably” closely matched. Ultimately the consumer wins by getting a better product for their hard earned money. These are all good machines.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is nice to see that this year Toro and Simplicity have improved their 2-stage snow blowers. I think both companies are now much better positioned to compete against Ariens. This is a good thing as now all 3 brands are now “arguably” closely matched. Ultimately the consumer wins by getting a better product for their hard earned money. These are all good machines.
I like all 3 brands a lot. Sometimes it comes down to your local dealer and how they treat their customers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Signature Pro line is still very similar to the one I used as a kid in the late 80's. They are very stout machines. Dealers are getting few and far between though, and I really loathe electric chute controls. Completely unnecessary cost and complexity for something that is pretty much guaranteed to fail at some point and put you in a bind. They evidently help sell them though.

·
Registered
983 Posts

Agreed on that.

Can't imagine any of the late 80's units still having working electric chute controls if they were equipped with them.

But they sure are nice when working

(neighbor has one, its sweet)

·
Registered
81 Posts

Agreed on that.

Can't imagine any of the late 80's units still having working electric chute controls if they were equipped with them.

But they sure are nice when working

(neighbor has one, its sweet)

Right, sorry about that, didn't mean to imply my dad's had electric control. It did have a differential though, which worked seamlessly enough that I was surprised when I bought my Ariens that it was so much harder to handle. I didn't know any different at the time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I haven't gotten to use electric chute controls, they sound nice. But it does touch on what seems like a valid concern, of how long will those motors and gearboxes last? Exposed to water, possibly stored outdoors.

My current blower is "only" 18 years old. But I'd be getting nervous about electric controls before then. And certainly for machines 20+ years old.

A lot of these machines are used for a long time. The electric chute controls sound cool, but I think I'd still prefer manual. I might be singing a different tune if I'd gotten to try them, of course.

·
Banned
474 Posts
It is a shame only Honda and Simplicity offer the electric controls as they are way cool and extremely convenient allowing the operator to keep both hands on the machine. I now have eight late model Simplicity machines under my purview and in two years doing commercial service only one failure of a switch.:smile2: These machines are run hard and put away frozen in the back of a truck or site trailer.

Some folks like to cite impeller-auger statistics RPM and on and on. Fact is these clear and throw just fine unless one wants to race their snow machine. At a safe and comfortable clearing speed all machines throw basically the same amount of snow and do the job year after year. I have seen the videos of guys trying to turn at the EOD in the high speed range and it is downright funny seeing the feet shuffle hanging on for dear life swinging it around.:grin:

Perhaps the impeller size mindset could sanction snow blower races where an inch or two might be an advantage at 6 MPH speeds.

Reactions: Dag Johnsen

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
It is a shame only Honda and Simplicity offer the electric controls as they are way cool and extremely convenient allowing the operator to keep both hands on the machine. I now have eight late model Simplicity machines under my purview and in two years doing commercial service only one failure of a switch.:smile2: These machines are run hard and put away frozen in the back of a truck or site trailer.

Some folks like to cite impeller-auger statistics RPM and on and on. Fact is these clear and throw just fine unless one wants to race their snow machine. At a safe and comfortable clearing speed all machines throw basically the same amount of snow and do the job year after year. I have seen the videos of guys trying to turn at the EOD in the high speed range and it is downright funny seeing the feet shuffle hanging on for dear life swinging it around.:grin:

Perhaps the impeller size mindset could sanction snow blower races where an inch or two might be an advantage at 6 MPH speeds.

I would be one of the ones you speak of mr driver
Iam frugal i just want the best specs for money spent dont see anything wrong with that do you?
honda has shown with tighter drum and higher engine speeds and impeller rpm even with a smaller 12 inch impeller there 270 cc out throw the ariens pros that have bigger engines and larger impeller stands to reason then that those things that honda has over ariens specs must be better
which leads me to and impeller kit check higher engine rpm 300 check impeller up to 1111 sorta check not like honda 1350 414 cc 20 ft lbs engine check that allows me to place the snow where i need to

In my case i need to be able to throw the snow as far as possible as the wind blows across my driveway and the house next door i try not blow snow on there property so 60 feet gets it across the street or over both of there fences to land on the side walk 55 feet plus
there are 3 things i wish my machine had
23.5 bucket height i intend to mod mine to make it that
16 rakes need the pro series for that
the electric chute like simplicity has with the switch right by the controls thats a killer feature
simplicity toro ariens hoinda all good machines
simplicity is alot more money for leess specs toro was right with them untill they came out with the new 1428 for 2200 thats a nice machine
Dont see how anyone can say ariens doesnt have the best specs for the money over any brand
My machine now that i paid 900 for used now has better specs then a 28 pro other then the 23.5 bucket height and 16 inch rakes
more power is good thing
bigger impeller is good thing
higher impeller speed is good thing
tighter drum is good thing
electric chute is a good thing
hydro is a good thing
tracks are a good thing
heated grips are a good thing
autoturn is a good thing in my case
electric start is a good thing
battery start is a good thing
impeller kits are a good thing
hr meters tachs are a good thing

only spending 900 and getting almost all the things that matter the most to me was a great thing

did i say i love the simplicity electric chute
check

·
Registered
271 Posts
a question

I got the P1728EX With 342cc 1650 engine. I understand you have the same but bigger 420 engine. Can you describe the difference? I think the 342cc is already very powerful.

Hope for an answer :smile2:

Greetings from Norway and wish you a happy New year!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Excellent post.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I got the P1728EX With 342cc 1650 engine. I understand you have the same but bigger 420 engine. Can you describe the difference? I think the 342cc is already very powerful.

Hope for an answer :smile2:

Greetings from Norway and wish you a happy New year!

Let's wipe the page clean and get away from strict numbers and ask what do these numbers mean. I saw someone the other day quote a 21 inch bucket is "far superior" to a 19.5 inch bucket. (I'm paraphrasing) to which I say, so what. Something can be true and irrelevant at the same time. When was the last time 1.5 inches in bucket height meant anything significant? If it were 6 inches of bucket, I'd get it.

I think the same is true with your question. Yes, 342 vs 420 is a bigger engine, more CCs. But as you state, yours is more than powerful enough for your needs, so although true that 420 is bigger, the answer is...so what. I'd like to try them side by side though, just to see, so when I say "so what" I have a point of reference.

I think if you look at what Divider Rider said, it's all about doing the job, and doing it reliably. At the end of the day, nothing else matters, it's all talk. I think that Simplicity is the best built product out there, and what you have is better than 99% of the machines out in the field today. Be happy!

Happy New Year!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts