Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Looking for some advice on how to deal with built up dirt/grime/rust in the drive/pulley housing area of my blower. Blower does not have anything covering/protecting the underside like most modern blowers so it has been exposed to salt, snow, water, gravel, etc. There is no oil or gas in the mower at the moment, but there were no issues running it last winter before it was stored away.

I have never worked with or on the gears/metal/belts/axles associated with small engines so I'm currently lacking the experience/knowledge, but not the motivation or will, to go about cleaning them up! Once the next off-season comes I'll take the blower apart and do a full resto underneath, but in the meantime I just want to get it through this season. My previous thread may have been too ambitious and had too many details so I'm posting this simplified, focused one instead.

What can I use to clean up the old grease/lubricant on the axle and gears? Will a dry shop towel and some soap+ warm water do the trick? I have white lithium grease that I plan on applying where the old grease was previously.

How about with the build-up on the pulleys? I'm afraid to unknowingly spray or apply anything potentially damaging to the rubber or pulleys themselves.

Is there anything particularly concerning from the pictures I should address first?

I appreciate any advice! And I'm open to suggestions on what to or not to do.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
WD-40 works great on the grime. Soap and water won't touch the grease. I would keep it off the belts.

Reactions: conc

·
Registered
871 Posts
thats not a single stage, or a typical single stage, sure looks like the belly of a 2 stage blower.
gears, chains,sprockets should have some lube/grease on them. keep it off the belts and the drive disc, its a shiny flat round metal disc.
plenty of utube vids to show u how to maintain a blower, search donyboy73 videos

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats not a single stage, or a typical single stage, sure looks like the belly of a 2 stage blower.
gears, chains,sprockets should have some lube/grease on them. keep it off the belts and the drive disc, its a shiny flat round metal disc.
plenty of utube vids to show u how to maintain a blower, search donyboy73 videos
I'll check those out, thank you.

I thought it was a two stage blower, but I don't see a friction disc and it the blower only has one forward/backwards speed. I don't know if those features are exclusive to 1 or 2 stage blowers but most of the help videos for two stage blowers I've watched seem to have a different system than this one.

WD-40 works great on the grime. Soap and water won't touch the grease. I would keep it off the belts.
Will give the WD40 a shot. Thank you!

·
Registered
871 Posts
2 stages have an impeller, the thing that actually spits out the snow through the chute, and the auger, the corkscrew thingy turning in the front that brings the snow to the impeller so the impeller can do its thing.
being self propelled, or not, has nothing todo with it being a 2 stage but afaik all 2 stages are self propelled in one way or another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts