Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decision needed please?
Low budget here, also i am in GTA, Canada.
I have 4 opinion here,
1. 6 years old toro 621 qzr (nothing replaced, i guess i need to change paddles, scraper and even v-belt maybe) this is $200 also the the auger frame has some rust.
2. Brand new toro 518 ZR $350
3. BRAND NEW E21 $650
4. Brand new 721 qze for $750

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Is the used machine a 2 cycle? If so a lot of people will advise you to take that. More power per cc and lighter.
Some other things to consider:

Is the rust bad? Is it surface rust or has it consumed a lot of steel thickness?
The repairs you are mentioning are not hard to do. Consider doing yourself. If you price the local cost of those 3 Toro parts you may have some negotiating leverage on the asking price.

How many hours a year do you think you will use it? If a lot the larger machine may be better.
The new machines are 4 cycles. Pros and cons which I am sure you know about. Plenty of threads here to read.

I am sure you will get a lot of replies and perspective to consider. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
4 cycle honda single stage if you want a single stage. an older well maintained 621.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It takes a lot of salt and usage to rust out a Toro single paddle auger. I bought an eBay used auger for $25-35 US and the corrosion is usually at the inner/outer paddle ends where are they welded to the auger shaft.

If u do decide to replace the paddles, remove the auger from the housing. It is easy. Wire brush the rust and use a rust converter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have uploaded picture of the rust, which is not that bad.
So the toro 621 is a Honda engine?
That is good to know , it will be reliable

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Toros don’t use Honda engines. I believe they are manufactured by Rato, but don’t quote me on it.

That 621 definitely need paddles. Paddles and scraper should be replaced together. About 60-80 bucks. Add a belt and your at $100. Is the machine worth $300 all said and done?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's why i need suggestion, 6 years old 621, cost $300. But it is a bigger engine than brand new 518zr which is cost $350.
I think all 621 are 4 stroke, am i correct?

Also thinking about e21, which is not need maintenance, but worry about battery life.

Thanks

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can you make it through the rest of the season without the single stage. If so you will be pleasantly surprised by how many Honda and Toro clean "low hour" single stage machines are listed on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist. Great value for your dollar if you can hold out another couple months.

Reactions: Rooskie and Ziggy65

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to check the toro 621 today, it is a lot of surface rust, not that bad though. Engine seems okay, started on second pull. He said first start for the season, 3-4 pulls. Maybe can offer him $150.

I also saw lots people here recommend HONDA HS621. is this a really good Unit?

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
went to check the toro 621 today, it is a lot of surface rust, not that bad though. Engine seems okay, started on second pull. He said first start for the season, 3-4 pulls. Maybe can offer him $150.

thanks
My Honda HS621 is the only single stage snowblower that could out perform my Toro CCR 3650 in deep heavy snow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I personally think that the Honda hs621 was one of the best single stages ever made however it is really hard to beat a toro 4 stroke single stage. I’ve had a few of them and they all performed very well and go through anything, just make sure you keep good paddles on them and that your scraper isn’t too badly worn

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts

thanks
I think Freezn is sound in saying wait until the season is over, if you can. You will likely find a Toro in better condition or one of the Honda models for a decent and fair price.
However if you need something soon then I think you are thinking about it in the right way. Assuming your cost for the New OEM parts is $100 CD then you have to consider something for the labor to install them. You don't have to clean up the rust now but if you want it to last longer you should do something about it in the warmer weather. Offer $125.

Reactions: Rooskie

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can definitely wait until the season is over.

It is a not big deal to me.

Just need some suggestion which model should I get? I need something could last long.
From what i remember, there is only one heavy snow in last 2 years where I live.

Just need something reliable and good price

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would rule out the used Toro 621. It has been used, abused, and neglected machine. It is in sad shape for a 6 year old machine. It is banged up, worn out, and rusted. Sorry, but I never would buy something like that for myself that has been so poorly treated. Worn out scraper bar and paddles can be easily replaced. Banged up rusted chassis need a lot more elbow grease.

This is a terrible time to be buying a snowblower. Start your research now and buy in the fall.

You mentioned "low budget". I don't know what that really means. The list you have ranged from 200 to 750. $750 is hardly a budget single stage snowblower. Do you mean you just want something cheap to get you by? Or do you want to spend on something trouble free that you will keep around for a long time. Or do you mean you don't mind buying something cheap and is willing get dirty and fix things. There are many ways to spend money, pay now or pay later.

Just need some suggestion which model should I get? I need something could last long.
From what i remember, there is only one heavy snow in last 2 years where I live.

Just need something reliable and good price
If this is what you really mean, then the new Toro 518ZR is the most likely choice.

The lack of information on how long or big your driveway, how much snow you typically get yearly, what kind of snow....I would honestly recommend a good shovel.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Many believe that the Japan-built Commercial Grade HS621 was Honda's best single stage ever, and typically very affordable in very good condition.

A brand new HS720C is going to run about $850 C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My driveway can park 4 cars in total. And 10 feet by 10 feet interlocking area.

There are 2 "medium heavy snow " this year which is around 5 or 6 inches dry snow.
I have a toro eclectic snow thrower which could barely finish the job. But I am tired of the extension cord.
I don't mind buying something cheap and is willing get dirty and fix things.
I just don't know if that 518zr could handle EOD?
Probably there will be some good condition used toro 721 when season is over.
I think I should just wait until season is over .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My "low budget" which i mean I don't want spend too much for this.
But I could spend more if it is necessary.
I don't mind buying something cheap and is willing get dirty and fix things. I mean for paddles, scraper and v-belt, but not the engine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts