Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Based on the information that you just provided, I think a typical 160cc or larger single stage snowblower would be fine. The Toro 518ZR at 99cc would probably be fine for most of the snowfall, but it would struggle a bit for the EOD. Most of the time, EOD is a non issue if you can get out there and take care of it early before it refreezes.

I would look for a Toro 621QZ, 721QZ, either new or used depending on your budget. You'll have to weigh the savings in used snowblower versus a new snowblower with a new set of paddles and scraper and a warrantly. The Toro Powerclear snowblower is a very common snowblower which parts are easily available. I have the Toro 421QZE that is a 2009 model with the Loncin engine and it has been running great. I have total confidence in this engine lasting a long time with proper maintenance. I think the chassis and other things will rust out before the engine dies.

The Honda HS720 is a good snowblower too. I think it looks nicer and higher quality than the Toro, but in real operation, I prefer the ergonomics of the Toro. I have the Honda HS621 and I think the Toro is just quicker and the Quick Chute is just more convenient to get things done.

These are all good machines. You just have to try them out and see which ones suites you better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Based on the information that you just provided, I think a typical 160cc or larger single stage snowblower would be fine. The Toro 518ZR at 99cc would probably be fine for most of the snowfall, but it would struggle a bit for the EOD. Most of the time, EOD is a non issue if you can get out there and take care of it early before it refreezes.

I would look for a Toro 621QZ, 721QZ, either new or used depending on your budget. You'll have to weigh the savings in used snowblower versus a new snowblower with a new set of paddles and scraper and a warrantly. The Toro Powerclear snowblower is a very common snowblower which parts are easily available. I have the Toro 421QZE that is a 2009 model with the Loncin engine and it has been running great. I have total confidence in this engine lasting a long time with proper maintenance. I think the chassis and other things will rust out before the engine dies.

The Honda HS720 is a good snowblower too. I think it looks nicer and higher quality than the Toro, but in real operation, I prefer the ergonomics of the Toro. I have the Honda HS621 and I think the Toro is just quicker and the Quick Chute is just more convenient to get things done.

These are all good machines. You just have to try them out and see which ones suites you better.
Thanks for your help.

Really helpful information.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Can`t believe no one has mentioned the Ariens professional ss21rc or the Ariens path pro
No one can dispute that Ariens is not a quality snowblower. I've never seen a single 21, for ss I've worked on Honda, Toro, Snapper, Craftsman, MTD, White.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks everyone,

Just got a brand new never used Toro 721 qze for $550.
Pretty good deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks,
I haven't started yet. Just waiting next snow to play my new toy.
I am pretty sure I will enjoy this TORO 721qze.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You got a good deal on that snowblower. Dealer probably want to move it since it's the older style. That's the same style that I have from 2009. I had one recall with the fuel leak that the local dealer quickly fixed. Other than that, the snowblower has been flawless.

Good luck on your new snowblower. Hope you have some snow coming soon to test it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
thanks .
I just checked MOD is 2017 Dec.
I hope my unit won't have that fuel leak issue.
This unit is 798 which is on sale right now in Canada.
I bought it from someone that got as a gift from his friend.
Still a good deal.
I just checked the weather forecast. I think our snow season is over now.
I couldn't test it until next season.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don't worry about the fuel leak. That problem was around 2011 and Toro had a recall campaign.

Make sure that the engine has oil before starting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
He said engine has oil. But there is not enough fuel to start. I will double check everything tomorrow and get some fuel to test.
Just doesn't know should I put some stabilizer with fuel or just fuel will be ok?
For end of the season, just start the engine and let it run until stop?
I am new to this.
thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts
Using fresh fuel is fine. Just add a small amount, about 4 oz of fuel. That would be enough for you get the engine started and running for a few minutes. Continue to let the engine runs until it runs out fuel.

I don't use stabilizer. I check the weather and if it doesn't look like it will be snowing anytime soon, I run the engine until the carb runs out fuel. I have added an inline fuel shutoff valve to the Toro to use up the fuel in the carb without emptying the tank. It makes the process of running the carb dry a lot faster, about 3-5 minutes versus however much fuel is left in the tank. If you want to add a fuel shutoff between the carb and fuel tank, there is a kit by Arnold available at your local big box store. It comes with the shutoff valve, fuel tubing, and some clamps. I think it's about 8 USD.

Universal inline fuel shutoff valve

I've added the shutoff valve and located just the right of the choke in the picture. See the picture below for the red fuel valve. It is accessible by reaching down. It is not hard to do but requires taking off the chute, top cover, and two clamps by the handles.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts