Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother was here earlier today, he does a lot of bidding on storage units that are for auction and when I showed him my latest Goodwill buy, a Toro Powershovel, he asked if I would be willing to try to repair four older model single stage blowers for him. I told him that I felt 90% of what they required would consist of purging the fuel systems of stale gas and replacing old fuel hoses and cleaning and adjusting the carbs. It has been my experience with working on older mowers that the vast majority of issues with no-start and poorly running engines are fuel related. Anyone care to disagree?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I agree with everything you said except for the fact that a lot of older single stage machines were two strokes which as you know, require a proper mix of GAS and OIL. There are many horror stories of people lending their machines to friends and neighbors who have never heard of two strokes and add straight (lawn mower) gas to the tanks and seizing the engines. For the most part, refurbishing the machines as you said are straight forward with the paddles and scraper bar as possible replacement costs also. Is it worth the gamble - probably.:confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with everything you said except for the fact that a lot of older single stage machines were two strokes which as you know, require a proper mix of GAS and OIL. There are many horror stories of people lending their machines to friends and neighbors who have never heard of two strokes and add straight (lawn mower) gas to the tanks and seizing the engines. For the most part, refurbishing the machines as you said are straight forward with the paddles and scraper bar as possible replacement costs also. Is it worth the gamble - probably.:confused:
Seized two stroke machines is what I'd be worried about being handed.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
pull the cord and make sure the motors are not seized, its easy enough to do then do what you planned todo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts