Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I am looking to replace a craftsman single stage that served me well. I live in Detroit, Michigan. We Do get a fair amount of snow, but I don't really need a two stage blower. I live in a small two bedroom home, driveway is a single car width, about 70ft long. I have been looking at a Briggs and Stratton single stage. My Question is are they any good? This would be the 950 series. On Amazon at about $370.00.
Thanks In advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
jmo, but i would avoid that machine and maybe take a step up in $$ to a toro, a honda or maybe an ariens..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You for the top replies. I'm Glad I asked. I guess briggs has changed a lot? If I am recalling correctly, if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But That was a time ago.

·
Registered
485 Posts
"...if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But that was a time ago." Yes, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
hello oleskool, welcome to SBF!! head out to commercial lawn mower in Plymouth, they carry toro and Honda snowblowers. I'm on the city's west side and still using the toro 2450E I purchased in '99. oh if you would prefer an ariens there is an ariens dealer at joy and Inkster rd, good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
"...if it didn't have a briggs engine it was second choice. But that was a time ago." Yes, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
I've got to disagree at least a bit here.

Briggs engines are on millions of machines and have proven to be reliable over and over again. Just in my experience, just about every piece of power equipment I own, certainly anything that costs more than a couple of nickles, has a very reliable Briggs engine. My lawn tractor has a 22HP Pro Series that is absolutely fantastic (and has a great reputation among consumers and dealers). It replaced a former Briggs engine that was running like a top with only oil/filter changes until I sold it to a friend. Finally I have owned several Briggs Polar Force engines on my snowblowers, and each one has been great. My Ariens that I own today is only 5 years old, but it starts on the first pull every winter after sitting for 8 - 9 months.

So I guess the moral of my story is this OP, don't let having a Briggs engine on any snowblower stop you from buying it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You were looking at a B&S brand blower on Amazon if I read that right. The whole machine is a Briggs, not just the engine.
I don't know much about B&S branded blowers, but don't be afraid of a quality brand blower powered by a B&S engine. The engines they make today are still very good engines IMO. The new top of the line Ariens blowers are still B&S powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
hello oleskool, welcome to SBF!! head out to commercial lawn mower in Plymouth, they carry toro and Honda snowblowers. I'm on the city's west side and still using the toro 2450E I purchased in '99. oh if you would prefer an ariens there is an ariens dealer at joy and Inkster rd, good luck
Thanks everyone for the replies. @ detdrbuzzard never been to the shop in Plymouth, but the shop on joy and inkster is where I go if I can't service something myself. The auger broke in my 16yr old craftsman, the shop on joy rd mentioned above gave me the advice "get a Ariens". I don't want to put $200.00 into this blower. After Reading this post, and reading Amazon reviews the briggs is still on the table. I have been looking at other brands but it seems you get less for more cash. I am looking at higher prices models of the briggs too. That serrated blade on the more expensive models sounds good. Looking At troy built also. Have Not heard much about them here.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
the end of the winter before last, i bought a troy bilt two stage machine as my old blower took a beating and was starting to literally come apart. luckily the old machine held up and i never even started that flimsy/flexy tb until i sold it " as new" at a $$ loss. that thing felt like a one storm machine ! tb is not what they used to be. jmo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts