Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking to get a used single stage 2 stroke, and have come across a few good ones in the $200-$300 range.
Toro CCR 2450
Toro CCR 3650
Lawnboy Insight 5hp (I'm a fan of the mowers)
Snapper SS5200
John Deere TRS 21 (cheaper than the rest)

I know the 2450 and 3650 have great reputations, and I think the Lawnboy is very similar. Does anyone know if the auger on the Lawnboy is the same or works as well?

I can't find much information at all on the Snapper SS5200. It looks almost new. Does anyone have any information or experience with this one? I was able to find an owners manual online, but that's about it.

The John Deere looks nice, but the auger is much different than the others.

Any opinions on how these all compare? My other option is to buy a new Toro 720R or E 4 cycle. That's appealing too!

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Great forum! Thanks!
Doug

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
toro owns lawnboy so other than color the 5hp lawnboy is the same as the toro ccr2450

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I picked up a 4-stroke Lawnboy insight a few months back, can't wait to use it. I think it's a 2009? model. It should do about 99% of my snowblowing this winter. Maybe more. Nice solid machine. I"m done with 2 strokes, just too lazy to have an extra can with mixed gas laying around. That john deere looks like a cheapo mtd special, crappy auger etc. Having said that, I used a crappy 2-stroke craftsman for a number of years and it was way better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'd probably steer clear of any Deere with TRS/TRX prefix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Father has had a CCR 3650 for quite a few years now, since 2005. It has been very reliable.

Recently I replaced the rubber paddles, scraper, and belt. The paddles were worn and the scraper was extremely worn, so much so that it was starting to damage the metal portion at the bottom of the auger housing. The original belt was still in decent condition, but I replaced it anyway.

Three years ago it started leaking fuel when it was parked with fuel in the tank between uses. It would also drip out of the intake when the unit was in use. I replaced the fuel needle/pintle and seat and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I believe that the scraper was replaced once previously, and the rubber paddles were replaced twice.

Would be nice if these had metal carbs and bowls. The screws that hold the bowl on stripped on the CCR 3650 and I had to use 4 oversized screws.

I bought a Power Clear 210 in 2010. It has also been very reliable. I have not replaced one part on it or tore into it. I bought a kit with paddles, belt, and scraper, but will not be replacing them until it is necessary. Good to keep the essentials on hand, though.

These machines were put to the test, especially last year with our massive snow storms every other week. Besides using a lot of fuel (more than I ever recall, due to the amount that we were using these machines) they never overheated or quit. That goes for the CCR and the Power Clear just the same. They were loaded down A LOT and never hesitated or quit. Tackling 3 foot drifts with a single stage says a lot.

This year, we both finally decided to buy two stage units after being demoralized by last winter.....so these single stage units will only be used for light duty from now on (unless the bigger two stage units go down!)

My Father bought a barely used 2011 Troy Bilt 2410 and I bought a lightly used 2007 Ariens 926. We are not getting rid of the single stage units.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts